Nessun Dorma from "Turandot"
Giacomo Puccini (arr. Rickard)
Duration: c. 2:50
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
B-flat Trumpet I-II
None discovered thus far.
Nessun dorma (None shall sleep) is an aria from the final act of Giacomo Puccini's opera Turandot, and is one of the best-known tenor arias in all opera. It is sung by Calaf, il principe ignoto (the unknown prince), who falls in love at first sight with the beautiful but cold Princess Turandot. However, any man who wishes to wed Turandot must first answer her three riddles; if he fails, he will be beheaded.
In the act before this aria, Calaf has correctly answered the three riddles put to all of Princess Turandot's prospective suitors. Nonetheless, she recoils at the thought of marriage to him. Calaf offers her another chance by challenging her to guess his name by dawn. (As he kneels before her, the Nessun dorma theme makes a first appearance, to his words, "Il mio nome non sai!") If she does so, she can execute him; but if she does not, she must marry him. The cruel and emotionally cold princess then decrees that none of her subjects shall sleep that night until his name is discovered. If they fail, all will be killed.
As the final act opens, it is now night. Calaf is alone in the moonlit palace gardens. In the distance, he hears Turandot's heralds proclaiming her command. His aria begins with an echo of their cry and a reflection on Princess Turandot.
Nessun Dorma achieved pop status after Luciano Pavarotti's 1972 recording of it was used as the theme song of BBC television's coverage of the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy. It subsequently reached #2 on the UK Singles Chart. Although Pavarotti rarely sang the role of Calaf on stage, Nessun Dorma became his signature aria and, in turn, a sporting anthem in its own right, especially for football.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- United States Army Field Band Brass Quintet - 16 December 2015 (2015 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Angelo del Cielo (arr. de Meij) (1917/2007)
- Ch'ella Mi Creda (arr. de Meij) (1910/2008)
- Christmas Scene from "La Bohème" (arr. Morita) (1896/2002)
- Corazzata Sicilia (ed. Creux) (1897/2017)
- Donde Lieta from "La Bohème" (arr. Kreines) (1896/)
- Edgar (arr. de Meij) (1889/2008)
- Fantasy on "Madama Butterfly" (arr. Goto) (1904/2000)
- Gianni Schicchi (arr. Suzuki) (1918/2015)
- Highlights from Act 1, "Tosca" (arr. Goto) (1900/2014)
- Intermezzo from "Manon Lescaut" (arr. McBeth) (1893/1984)
- Kyrie from Messa di Gloria (tr. Paxton) (1980/2015)
- La Bohème (arr. Stebbing) (1896/1948)
- La Bohème (arr. Dawson) (1896/1992)
- La Fanciulla del West (arr. de Meij) (1910/2008)
- La Tregenda (arr. Beck) (1883/2012)
- La Tregenda (arr. Foster) (1883/1996)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Bocook) (1926/2003)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Cray)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Hattendorf) (1926/2007)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Rossi) (1926/2008)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Turrin) (1926/2010)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Vinson) (1926/2009)
- Nessun Dorma (arr. Williams) (1926/2000)
- Nessun Dorma (tr. Patterson) (1926/)
- Nessun Dorma from "Turandot" (arr. Rickard) (1926/1993)
- O Mio Babbino Caro (arr. Balmages) (1918/2000)
- O Mio Babbino Caro (arr. Vinson) (1918/2011)
- O Mio Babbino Caro from "Gianni Schicchi" (arr. Kondo) (1918/2010)
- O Mio Babbino Caro from "Gianni Schicchi" (arr. Kreines) (1918/)
- Puccini's Arias Fantasy (arr. Yamazato) (2012)
- Quando me’n vo (arr. McLain) (1896/2011)
- Scenes from "La Bohème" (arr. Hanna) (1896/)
- Scossa Elettrica (arr. Yates) (2001)
- Te Deum (tr. de Meij) (1900/2010)
- Tosca Fantasy (arr. Gee) (1900)
- Tosca Fantasy (arr. Hermann) (1900/1972)
- Turandot (arr. Goto) (1926/2007)
- Two Scenes from "Tosca" (arr. Hanna) (1900/)
- Vogliatemi Bene from "Madama Butterfly" (arr. Odom) (1904/)
- Witches' Sabbath, The (arr. de Meij) (1892/2010)