National Emblem March
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Bb Trumpet (Cornet) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals, small
- Crash Cymbals, large
- Field Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
National Emblem March is one of America's best loved and most popular marches. The Chatfield (Minnesota) Music Lending Library includes 14 different arrangements for band or orchestra among its holdings. Reginal Bagley, a third cousin of the composer, believed that the march was begun in 1902 and first rehearsed in a train baggage car en route from Bellows Falls to Greenfield, New Hampshire. It was first played in manuscript by the Keene, New Hampshire, City Band, was revised, and was copyrighted in 1906. A vocal arrangement, with words by M.F. Sexton, was copyrighted two years later. A copy of Bagley's revision was presented to the University of Florida's Bachman Band Library in 1965.
In addition to The Star Spangled Banner, which provided melodic material for the first strain and trio, Bagley's memories of the herds of buffalo he had seen while crossing the Western prairies in the 1870s and 1880s inspired the heavy, repetitive beats heard in the trio.
- Program Note Program Notes for Band
This arrangement is dedicated to Leonard B. Smith.
-Program Note from score
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Illinois State University (Normal) Symphonic Winds (Anthony Marinello, III, conductor) – 4 October 2019
- Arkansas (Farmington) Winds Community Concert Band (Michael Ferguson, conductor) – 2 March 2019
- CSU, Pueblo, Festival of Winds Green Wind Orchestra (Timothy Diem, conductor) - 16 February 2019
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Wind Orchestra (Christopher J. Woodruff, conductor) - 5 March 2016 (81st Annual ABA National Convention)
- Seattle Pacific University (Danny Helseth, Conductor) - 22 May 2015
- Clovis (Calif.) East High School Wind Ensemble (Theodore Tanaleon, conductor) - 22 March 2015 (2015 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- San Luis Obispo Wind Orchestra (Jennifer Martin, conductor) - 15 November 2014
- California State University, Northridge, Wind Ensemble (Lawrence Stoffel, conductor) - 25 November 2014
- Wooster (Ohio) Community Band - 24 June 2013
Works for Winds by This Composer
- The Ambassador
- America Victorious (1919)
- Bagley's Imperial (arr. Hildreth) (1939)
- Front Section
- The Imperial
- National Emblem (arr. Hautvast) (1906/2011)
- National Emblem March (1906)
- National Emblem March (arr. Conaway) (1906/2014)
- National Emblem March (arr. Fennell) (1906/1981)
- National Emblem March (arr. Jacobs) (1906/1934)
- National Emblem March (arr. Schissel) (1906/2000)
- National Emblem March (arr. Walters) (1906/1963)
- Bagley, E.E.; Schissel, L. (2000). National Emblem: March [score]. C.L. Barnhouse: Oskaloosa, Ia.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 29.