Moon by Night
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Glockenspiel (extended range with high D-natural required)
- Gong (pitched in C)
- Tubular Bells
- Wind Chimes
- Flutes, m.38-9: The G can either be Fl 1 only, with Fl 2 entering beat 3 of m.39, or Fl 2 can play the G whole note in m.38, tied to a G half note in m.39, before Fl 2 plays beats 3-4 in m.39.
- E-flat Baritone Saxophone, m.38: Should be a (sounding) B-natural, not a B-flat.
Moon by Night is a modular work, as it is performable as a work for band and chorus, band alone, chorus and piano, or chorus a cappella. The text is the King James translation of Psalm 121, and the title is an image directly quoted from the psalm. The theme of the work is not sacred, however---it should be more like a hymn-like tone poem; a simple, straightforward chorale with long unending lines, where the text serves only to create an evocative mood.
Moon by Night was premiered by the Sterling Municipal Symphony Band in Sterling, IL, on June 27, 2001, with Eric Whitacre conducting.
- Program Notes by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: UNLV Wind Orchestra (Tad Suzuki, conductor)
- Audio CD: VanderCook College of Music Symphonic Band (Charles T. Menghini, conductor) - 2004
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Lethbridge (Alb., Can.) Wind Orchestra (Chee Meng Low, conductor) - 20 April 2022
- State University of New York, Fredonia, All College Band (Carrie Pawelski, conductor) – 19 November 2019
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Symphonic Band (Kelvin Jones, conductor) – 23 April 2019
- State University of New York, Fredonia, Concert Band (Ray Stewart, conductor) – 8 November 2018
- Hartwick College (Oneonta, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Pease, conductor) – 9 April 2018 (Carnegie Hall, N.Y.)
- Wartburg College (Waverly, Ia.) Wind Ensemble (Craig A. Hancock, conductor)– 24 March 2018
- Gottschalk Music Center Concert Band (Merced, Calif.) (Matthew Cover, conductor) – 11 June 2017
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Ensemble (Derek Southerland, conductor) – 25 April 2017
- University of Illinois (Champaign) Wind Orchestra (Elizabeth Peterson, conductor) – 7 March 2017
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) University Band (Betsy McCann, conductor) – 23 February 2017
- Central Winds: A Music Educators Wind Ensemble (Syracuse, N.Y.) (Stephen G. Peterson, conductor) - 14 December 2016 (2016 Midwest Clinic)
- University of California, Los Angeles, Symphonic Band (Ian Richard, conductor) – 25 May 2016
- Michigan State University Concert Band (David Thornton, conductor) – 6 October 2015
- California State University, Fresno, Symphonic Band (Steven M. McKeithen, conductor) - 20 March 2015 (2015 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra, Japan, - 2008 Summer Tour
- VanderCook College of Music (Chicago, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Charles T. Menghini, conductor) – 17 December 2004 (2004 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- 3 O'Clock Mix (2012)
- 1861 (2004)
- As the scent of spring rain (2003)
- Avenue X (2005)
- Blow It Up, Start Again (2012)
- Climbing Parnassus (2008)
- Concertino (flute solo, chamber winds, and piano)
- De Profundis
- Moon by Night (2001)
- Novel Romance (2018)
- OK Feel Good
- Pi’ilani and Ko’olau (2019)
- The Rivers of Bowery (2005)
- Single (2013)
- Sowing Useful Truths
- Symphony No. 1 (2009)
- Tender Hearts (2019)
- Uncle Sid
- Ambrose, Robert J. "Moon by Night." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 388-397. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- Jonathan Newman website.
- Newman, J. (2004). Moon by Night: For Concert Band [score]. Wingert-Jones Publications: Kansas City, Mo.
- Pease, Andrew. "Moon by Night by Jonathan Newman." Wind Band Literature. Web. Accessed 5 January 2018