Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Soprano Saxophone
Eb Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Tenor Saxophone
Eb Baritone Saxophone
Bb Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Trombone I-II-III (at least 4 players on parts I and II, at least 2 on part III)
Euphonium (at least 2 players)
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V-VI-VII, including:
- Bass Drum
- Police Whistle
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tam-tam (large)
- Woodblocks (2, pitched approximately a fourth apart)
- The latest version of the score is 1.2. If you have 1.1.1b or earlier, contact Steven Bryant and he will exchange it for the most recent version.
About the Piece
Monkey is the wildness of young monkeys, shrieking in unbridled pandemonium. The unsupervised frenzy-mongers eventually come face to face with the ominous threat of adult discipline.
The hour of scampering erupts. The mayhem escalates until young and old alike are indistinguishable. Simian hysteria overtakes all.
Monkey, commissioned by Thomas G. Leslie for the UNLV Wind Orchestra, was begun in summer of 1997, as part of my ongoing fascination with primates. Much of my music during the past few years has been primal in nature, and Monkey was the natural, explicit culmination of this tendency. At least, I think this is the culmination. There may be more monkey madness lurking in the depths of my mind.
Note: no animals were harmed during the composition of this piece.
Monkey is a wild and hysterical piece of music, but must be played with incredible precision and attention to detail. The sheer speed of the piece is perhaps daunting, but cannot be sacrificed. Energy must continually erupt from the stage.
World premiere performance recording available from Mark Custom Recordings.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alchemy in Silent Spaces (2001)
- all stars are love (2014)
- Anthem (Bryant) (2011)
- The Automatic Earth (2019)
- Axis Mundi
- Chester Leaps In (see Parody Suite)
- Coil (2014)
- Concerto for Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone (2014)
- Concerto for Cello and Orchestral Winds
- Concerto for Trombone 2016
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestral Winds & Percussion (2012)
- Dusk (2004)
- Ecstatic Fanfare (2012)
- Ecstatic Waters (2008)
- First Light
- Impercynations (see Parody Suite)
- Idyll (2013)
- In This Broad Earth (2015)
- Interruption Overture (1998)
- Irrational Joy (2017)
- Machine Awakes, The (2012)
- The Marbled Midnight Mile (1999)
- MetaMarch (see Parody Suite)
- A Million Suns at Midnight
- Miniature Suite (2017)
- Nothing Gold Can Stay (2016)
- Parody Suite
- Pendulum (2018)
- Radiant Joy
- Solace (2012)
- Stampede (2003)
- Suite Dreams (see Parody Suite)
- Whirlwind (2013)
- Wings That Work (2003)