Moments of Silence
Subtitle: An Elegy for Wind Ensemble
Duration: c. 12:25
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Murphy Music Press
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $145.00; (digital) - $120.00 | Score Only (print) - $30.00; (digital) - $40.00
Contrabassoon (optional but preferred)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet (optional but preferred)
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Anvil/Brake Drum
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbal, medium and small
- Tam-Tam, small and regular
- Water Gong
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
It was December 2, 2015. Fourteen innocent souls perished on this day in San Bernardino, a day now remembered as one of the worst mass shootings of its time. Roughly twenty-two individuals were fortunate enough to recover from their physical wounds, but never forgetting what will perhaps have been their darkest hours. This incident marked the 352nd shooting of the 371 total U.S. shootings that took place in 2015.
Moments of Silence hauntingly voices the amassed concerns over violence with firearms, among other types of violence. It serves as a reminder to our entrusted lawmakers that doing nothing more than reflecting on each passing homicidal incident is not a viable solution. It serves as an in memoriam to the tens of thousands of American lives lost over related incidents each year.
- Program Note by composer
Dedicated to the inflicted victims and families of the San Bernardino mass shooting. In loving memory for the 14 souls who perished that day.
- Program Note from score
A mass shooting and an attempted bombing occurred at the Inland Regional Center in a terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California, on December 2, 2015. The perpetrators, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, a married couple living in the city of Redlands, targeted a San Bernardino County Department of Public Health training event and Christmas party of about 80 employees in a rented banquet room. 14 people were killed and 22 others were seriously injured.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9mT_KMz5M San Bernardino County (Calif.) Music Educators Association Honor Band (Eddie Smith, conductor)] – 4 February 2017 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- À la Machaut (2015)
- Ancestral Rumors (2019)
- Blood Moon Ablaze (2018)
- Hero (2019)
- In Adventu Finalem (2017)
- Millennial Inception
- Moments of Silence (2016)
- Sound Asleep (2017)
- Star Gazing (2017)
- Tetelestai (2014)
- Toward the Hour Arises New Light (2018)
- Until Morning Come (2018)
- 2015 San Bernardino Attack, Wikipedia Accessed 15 June 2020
- Boss, A. (2016). Moments of Silence: An Elegy for Wind Ensemble [score]. Murphy Music Press: McKinney, Tx.
- Boss Music Studios Accessed 15 June 2020