Subtitle: On an Original Cakewalk
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
Percussion I-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Bell Tree
- Crash Cymbals
- Sandpaper Blocks (or Cabasa)
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tam-Tam, large
- Temple Blocks
- Tenor Drum
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
A good-natured and supremely catchy original cakewalk tune, in Kallman's hands, surprisingly transforms into minimalistic music propelled by a xylophone ostinato, then back again. A classic old American song-form with a new twist.
- Program Note by publisher
This was a commission from the Hudson (Wisc.) High School Concert Band. It premiered at the Wisconsin State Conference of Music Educators in 1987 with Kristin Tjornehoj conducting.
The piece begins with a playful cakewalk (alto saxophone and euphonium solos) but quickly "metamorphoses" into a minimalistic section where only the characteristic cakewalk rhythm remains. The cakewalk tune returns at the end.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 2008
- Louisiana: IV
- Texas: IV. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Spring-Ford (Penn.) High School Band (Seth Jones, conductor) – 5 February 2016 – (West Chester University (Penn.) Concert Band Symposium)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alyeska: The Great Land
- An American Jubilee
- An American Tapestry (2003)
- Fantasia Variations on "Eternal Alleluia's"
- Galop (2015)
- The Groundhog's Lament
- A Halama Christmas (2004)
- The Jig Is Up (2003)
- March Emeritus
- Metamorphosis (1986/2005)
- Overture from "Yankee Doodling"
- Promenade and Galop
- Sea Creatures
- Streets of Honor
- There Was a Composer of Genius
- The Vanishing Snows of Kilimanjaro
- A Visit With Old Joe
- Yankee Doodling: A Young Person's Guide to the Concert Band
- Daniel Kallman website Accessed 6 February 2016
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Daniel Kallman." Accessed 6 February 2016
- Kallman, D. (2005). Metamorphosis: (On an Original Cakewalk) [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: [s.l.]
- Kitelinger, Jennifer. "Metamorphosis." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 660-667. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.