Martin Ellerby (b. 1957, Worksop, England) is a British composer.
Ellerby was educated at the Royal College of Music, London, where he was taught by Joseph Horovitz.
Ellerby is a composer of international standing, whose works have been performed, broadcast and recorded to critical acclaim across Europe, Asia and the USA. His catalogue comprises compositions spanning a diverse range of media, including orchestral, choral, concert band, brass band, ballet, instrumental and chamber, together with a substantial number of commercial orchestrations and arrangements. Ellerby’s works are published extensively and recorded on over 75 commercial CDs to date. Key performances include the BBC Promenade Concerts, Leipzig Gewandhaus, Barbican Centre, Royal Albert Hall, South Bank Centre and many major international festivals, including Edinburgh, Harrogate, Zurich and Kuhmo Chamber Music (Finland).
In his previous post as head of Composition and Contemporary Music at the London College of Music and Media, Martin was responsible for the co-ordination and development of a high profile department of over 50 composition students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He instigated and designed four composition programs at master’s level, while also preparing a range of detailed undergraduate syllabuses. Martin contributed to the artistic focus of the school by being proactive in overseeing the inclusion of a substantial number of student works in concert programmes, hosting a range of composers’ festivals, and organising frequent workshops and composers’ concerts.
Martin combines a busy schedule as a professional composer with work in education, where he is currently Visiting Professor (with responsibility for curriculum design) at the Royal Air Force: Headquarters Music Services. He is also artistic Director for Studio Music Company, London and Senior Producer for Polyphonic Recordings.
Works for Winds
- Cane River Murals (2012)
- Clarinet Concerto (2001)
- Club Europe (2002)
- The Cries of London (2005)
- Divertimento for Wind Dectet (1999/2001)
- Dona Nobis Pacem (1995)
- Five Manx Romances (2017)
- From Kitty Hawk to the Stars
- Give Me the Splendid Silent Sun (2022)
- Menorcan Dances (2019)
- Natalis (1993)
- New World Dances (1999)
- Northumbrian Dances (2019/2021)
- Ovation (2001)
- Paris Sketches (1994)
- Paris Sketches (ed. Reynish) (1994/2004)
- Prelude for Hampstead Heath (1990)
- Requiescant Aberfan (2009)
- Roman Trilogy (2014)
- A Silent Movie Suite (2013)
- A Soliliquy for Solferino (2012)
- Symphony for Winds (1997)
- Tales from Andersen (2006)
- Tuba Concerto (1988)
- Venetian Spells (1984)
- Via Crucis (2006)
- Allen, Keith. Paris Sketches is 10 Years Old Winds Magazine.
- Gerhardstein, Ron. "Cane River Murals." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 714-722. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Martin Ellerby website
- Martin Ellerby, Wikipedia
- Ellerby, Martin. Symphony of Winds Winds Magazine.