Mark Williams (1955, Chicago, Ill. - 3 January 2008, Spokane, Wash.) was an American composer and band director.
Mr. Williams held the Bachelor of Arts in education and Master of Education degrees from Eastern Washington University, and served as woodwind performer and arranger for the 560th Air Force Band. He taught music in the state of Washington for many years, specializing in elementary band.
One of the premier composers for school bands and orchestras, Mr. Williams was co-author of the Accent on Achievement Band Method. Mr. Williams had over 200 published works to his credit. As clinician and guest conductor, he traveled to 34 states, five Canadian provinces, and Australia.
Renowned for his compositions for band, orchestra, and choir, Mr. Williams earned numerous awards including the Western International Band Clinic's Gralia Competition and several ASCAP Special Awards. In addition to his writing and travel schedule, Mark performed regularly on bassoon and served as conductor and artistic director for the Spokane British Brass Band.
Works for Winds
- 1812 Overture (as arranger) (1880/1997)
- Ave Verum Corpus (as arranger) (1791/2006)
- Battle Hymn of the Republic (as arranger, with Althouse) (1861/1997)
- Barber of Seville, The (as arranger)
- Beethoven's Fifth Christmas
- Capriccio Espagnol (as arranger) (1887/1993)
- Cardiff Castle (2000)
- Cascade Festival Overture (1994)
- Cedar Canyon Roundup (2002)
- Celebration Fanfare (1998)
- Colonel Bogey (as arranger) (1914/2001)
- Elizabethan Dance (2008)
- Fantasy on "Yankee Doodle" (1995)
- Finale from Symphony No. 1 (as arranger) (1862-76/2008)
- Finale from Symphony No. 2 (as arranger) (1872/1880/2002)
- Grant County Celebration (1991)
- Greenwillow Portrait (1988)
- Hawkeye Festival Overture (2006)
- Highbridge Excursions (1995)
- Korean Hill Song (2000)
- Largo from "New World Symphony" (as arranger) (1893/2007)
- The Last Rose of Summer (as arranger) (1813/2006)
- Nessun Dorma (as arranger) (1926/2000)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem (as arranger) (2007)
- Plaza de Toros (1997)
- Plaza Park Escapades (1994)
- Primordium (1999)
- Riverside Rag (1988)
- Russian Sailors' Dance (as arranger) (1927/1998)
- Santa at the Symphony (as arranger) (1990)
- Santa Meets Sousa (1992)
- Scenes of Wonder (1994)
- The Star-Spangled Banner (as arranger) (1814/1998)
- Tunbridge Meadows (1992)
- Two Classic Miniatures (as arranger) (1991)
- Variants on a Nautical Hymn (1993)
- A Winter's Carol (as arranger) (1996)
- Williams, M. (1992). Tunbridge Meadows [score]. Alfred Music: Van Nuys, Calif.
- Miles, Richard B., and Larry Blocher. (2010). Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 1. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 141.