Subtitle: A Scottish Fantasy
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
The symphonic poem Loch Ness consists of five through-composed impressions of this mysterious Scottish Lake.
I) The Lake At Dawn. Calm, static, sonorous blocks depict the troubled opaque water surface and the enormous depth of the lake at daybreak.
II) Urquhart Castle. The rising early morning mist reveals the distant ruins of Urquhart Castle, represented by a solemn theme in the trombones, which is taken over by the full band, thus evoking the illustrious past of this fortress besieged so many times.
'III) Inverness. Bagpipes and Tourists -- the music takes us down to the town of Inverness where the first tourists mark the slow but steady start of a new season to the sound of a Scottish melody.
IV) Storm. Suddenly a heavy weather breaks: fierce gusts of wind and heavy showers transform the erstwhile calm surface into an obscure and whirling mass of water, and clouds rapidly passing over offer an eerie scene...
V) Conclusion. Storm and rain gradually decrease, and when everything is quiet again we are granted a last view of the lake in its full glory.
- Program Note by publisher
The symphonic poem Loch Ness was commissioned by the International Festival in Uster, Switzerland, where it was premiered by the Uster Municipal Band in September 1989.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Lehigh University (Bethlehem, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (David Diggs, conductor)– 17 November 2019
- Contra Costa Wind Symphony (Walnut Creek, Calif.) (Ben Loomer, conductor) - 2 November 2014
- National Youth Band of Canada (Jonathan Dagenais, conductor) - 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- African Harmony (2017)
- Aladdin Suite (as arranger)
- Aquarium (1991)
- At Kitty O'Shea's (2011)
- Beatles Collection (as arranger) (1982)
- Canticles (2007)
- Celtic Classics (2016)
- Ceremonial Fanfare
- Chanson de Matin (as arranger) (c. 1890/1988)
- Clair de lune (as arranger) (1890/1905/2017)
- Cloud Factory (2011)
- Continental Overture
- Copacabana (as arranger)
- Downtown Divertimento (2014)
- Echoes of San Marco (2016)
- Edgar (as arranger) (1889/2008)
- Extreme Make-over (2004)
- Extreme Beethoven
- Fellini (2015)
- Festive Hymn (2007)
- Fifty Shades of E (2016)
- Highlights from "Riverdance" (as arranger) (1994/2014)
- Highlights from the Seville Suite (as arranger) (1992/2011)
- Honky Tonk Ragtime (as arranger) (1985)
- Jazz Suite No. 2 (as arranger) (post-1956/1994)
- Joropo (as arranger)
- Jupiter Hymn (as arranger)
- Klezmer Classics
- La Fanciulla del West (as arranger) (1910/2008)
- La Quintessenza
- Les Papillons (as editor)
- Loch Ness (1988)
- March to Mars (as arranger) (1987)
- Musical Highlights from "Chess" (as arranger) (1993)
- The Painted Bird (2021)
- Pavane (as arranger) (1899/1991)
- Pennsylvania Faux Songs (2018)
- Phantom of the Opera (as arranger)
- Polish Christmas Music, Part I
- Ratatouille Satirique (as arranger) (/1994)
- Romeo and Juliet (as arranger). See: Suite from the Ballet "Romeo & Juliet"
- Songs from the Catskills (2012)
- Spring (2010)
- Star Wars Saga (as arranger) (1987)
- Suite for Variety Orchestra (as arranger) (post 1956/1994)
- Suite from the Ballet "Romeo & Juliet" (arr. de Meij) (1935/1990)
- Summer (2013)
- Symphony No. 1 (1987)
- Symphony No. 2
- Symphony No. 3 (2007)
- Symphony No. 4
- Symphony No. 5 (2018)
- Ancalagon, the Black (2018)
- UFO Concerto (2012)
- T-Bone Concerto (1996)
- Te Deum (as transcriber) (1900/2010)
- Two-Bone Concerto (2016)
- Teddy Trombone (as arranger)
- The Venetian Collection
- Via Claudia (2012)
- Wind in the Willows (2002)
- Windy City Overture
- The Witches' Sabbath (as arranger)
- The Woman in White (as arranger) (2006)
- Johan de Meij website Accessed 15 November 2019
- Meij, Johan de (1988). Loch Ness: A Scottish Fantasy: For Symphonic Band [score]. Amstel Music: Amsterdam.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 169-70.