Liberty Enlightening the World
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV-V
Horn in F I-II-III-IV-V
Percussion (6 players)
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
"Liberty Enlightening the World," the statue that is today more popularly known as the Statue of Liberty, was a gift from the French to the people of the United States. The statue was to be given to the United State on the occasion of our centennial in 1876, and French sculptor Frederic Bartholdi was commissioned to design the gift. Due to a variety of complications, the statue was not unveiled until October 28, 1886.
Although the Statue of Liberty means 'America' to us, it is really of international significance as the idea of liberty transcends nationalism in every sense, having inflamed all the revolutions that followed our example worldwide.
My composition was commissioned by the American Wind Symphony Orchestra to celebrate the reopening of the statue in celebration of its centennial, following extensive repairs. The work is based on a simple, recurring melodic fragment I labeled as a 'hymn to liberty.' Ironically, the light of liberty has not always shown within our borders as we continue to struggle with the concept of 'liberty and justice for all.'
- Program Note by composer
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Missouri–Kansas City Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 20 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 Southwestern Division Conference, Norman, Okla.)
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 14 February 2020
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor) – 6 April 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Broadside: Ceremonial for Winds
- Circus Overture (tr. Bolcom and Dooley) (2015)
- Concert Suite for Solo E-flat Alto Saxophone and Band (1998)
- Concerto for Clarinet and Band (1990/2015)
- Concerto for Soprano Saxophone and Band (2015)
- Concerto Grosso for Saxophone Quartet (2000)
- Fanfare for a New President
- First Symphony for Band (2008)
- Fifth Symphony (1999)
- Five Cabaret Songs (arr. Frenkel) (2009/2014)
- Graceful Ghost Rag (1970/2011)
- Liberty Enlightening the World (1985)
- Machine (tr. Lavender) (1990/1999)
- Orphée-Sérénade (1984)
- Song for Band (2001)
- Trombone Concerto (2017)
- Bolcom, W. (1986). Liberty Enlightening the World : For the Unveiling of the Refurbished Statue of Liberty, July 4, 1986 : 1985 [score]. Edition Peters: Leipzig.
- William Bolcom website Accessed 4 April 2018