Dr. Leroy Osmon (B.S., M.M., D.M.A.) is an internationally-known composer/conductor/educator who is presently living in Merida, Yucatan. His published compositions number more than 80 and are represented by seven publishers in the USA, Mexico and England.
After working for 31 years as a distinguished teacher and as an adjunct professor at the University of Houston's Moores School of Music, Osmon now devotes his time to composition and his health care service company, Healthcare Services International Inc. (located in Merida, Yucatan). Before moving back to Merida in January 2011, Leroy Osmon lived in Xalapa, Veracruz, for four years where he was a professor at the 'new' conservatory of music. In the years before moving from Merida, Osmon was a consultant to the Governor for the Institute of Culture for the State of Yucatan where he was instrumental in the creation of the Orquesta Sinfonica de Yucatan. For nine years Osmon worked as an advisor/consultant to the University of Yucatan (UADY) Orquesta de Camara.
Osmon receives commissions for all music genres and he has received the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) Standard Music Award for Composition 19 times and the Medallion La Ville De Contrexeville (Contrexeville, France) twice. His works have been performed at every major music conference in the United States. His music has been performed as well in Europe, Australia, Japan, Israel, India and Mexico. Composer Leroy Osmon has received 3 Grammy List Nominations. In 2004, Osmon received two Grammy List nominations (“Best Classical Performance” by a small ensemble and “Best Classical Album”) and in 2008 The Music of Leroy Osmon, Vol. IV received a Grammy List Nomination for “Best Classical Album”.
The year 2012 marks the 20th consecutive year for composer Leroy Osmon to have a work performed at the prestigious Midwest International Band and Orchestra Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
In January 2008, Leroy Osmon was nominated for both a Pulitzer Prize and the University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition.
Leroy Osmon has, in addition to his educational experiences in the USA, served on the faculty of the Instituto Superior de Musica del Estado de Veracruz from 2009 to 2010 where he was Professor of Composition and Composer in Residence. He has organized major fundraisers in the state of Texas, served on the board of directors of an international music organization for 15 years and served as both director and organizer of numerous concert tours of Europe and Mexico, giving him vast experience at organizing travel needs.
Dr. Osmon has recently turned his attention to assisting North Americans find quality and affordable medical service in the beautiful city of Merida, Yucatan.
Works for Winds
- The Alchemist (2022)
- American Songs
- and fragments of a dream... (2010)
- Ballade for Horn and Band (2010)
- Canciones y Sones de Mexico (2008)
- Chateau Le Bombadier Marche
- Christmas in The Netherlands (1999)
- Dance Poem (2006)
- David's Lyre
- Dia de los Muertos (2001)
- …dim points of lights…
- Down Longford Way & Shenandoah (as transcriber)
- Elegy: Sixteen Minutes from Home (2005)
- Enigmatic Variations (2002)
- Experience the Adventure (2007)
- Fanfare for a Great Hall (2010)
- Fanfare, Elegy and Dance
- Fanfare: Experience the Adventure (2007)
- Four Dutch Hymns (1991)
- The Garden of Earthly Delights (2006)
- Hanszen Parish Overture
- The Hanukkah Gift (1999)
- Hebrew Folk Song Suite
- Hebrew Folk Song Suite No. 2 (2005)
- Hebrew Folk Song Suite No. 3 (2003)
- Hebrew Rhapsody (2003)
- Holliday Festival Overture (2002)
- Huapango! (as transcriber) (1941/1986)
- In Memory of a Summer Day
- In the Land of Green Lightning (2010)
- Introduction and Allegro (2015)
- A Lark's Song in the Clear Air (2012)
- March 104 (1998)
- Masada (2007)
- The Midnight Culmination of Sirius
- Prelude and Dance (2000)
- Prelude from "49th Parallel" (as transcriber) (1941/1960/1987/2002)
- The Rabbit and the Coyote (2005)
- Scotch Strathspey and Reel (as arranger)
- Shenandoah (arranged)
- Symphony for Winds and Percusssion (1997)
- Tower of The Winds (2009)
- Tuqa Gloria Emmeles
- West Point Songs (1981)
- The Widow's Party (as arranger) (1923/1929/2009)
- Leroy Osmon website Accessed 13 June 2021