This work bears the designation Opus 31.
Year: 1942 / 1945
Duration: c. 6:30
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Leeds Music
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet Solo-II-III
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (3 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Legend, composed in 1942, was Creston's second work for band. The composed dedicated Legend to Richard Franko Goldman and wrote the following note in the score:
There is no particular legend attached to this composition. It was inspired by one of the most powerful attributes of music, namely, its narrative power. It is, therefore, a purely abstract piece of music, with the modification, however, that the listener may easily create his own story.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
- Arkansas: IV
- Kansas: V
- Louisiana: IV
- Maryland: V
- Tennessee: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- City of Fairfax (Va.) Band (Robert Pouliot, conductor) – 20 May 2018
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Jason H. Nam, conductors) – 14 November 2017
- Concert Kunst naar Krach (Karst Kulik, conductor) – 31 January 1987
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Anatolia (1968)
- Celebration Overture (1955)
- Celebration Overture (ed. Madden) (1955/2016)
- Concertino for Marimba and Band (1940/1975)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra (or Band) (1941/1963/1966)
- Fantasy for Trombone and Orchestra (or Band)
- Five Little Dances (trans. Longfield) (1946/2013)
- Kalevala (1971)
- Legend (1942/1945)
- Night in Mexico (tr. Yates) (1966/1997)
- Prelude and Dance (1959)
- Square Dance '76 (1977)
- Suite for Saxophone Quartet
- Zanoni (1949)
- Liberty Song ’76 (1976)
- Creston, P. (1945). Legend [score]. Leeds Music: New York.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 147.
- Worzbyt, Jason. "Legend." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 629-634. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.