Lament for Wind Orchestra
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Bass Clef & Treble Clef)
Percussion I-II-III, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbal
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
In his review of the 2011 Taiwan WASBE Conference, noted conductor Timothy Reynish wrote: “Chang Su Koh was for me one of the most impressive composers ... with two fine works played. Lament for Wind Orchestra [is] one of those extremely rare wind works, a slow unsentimental piece, full of sentiment, first rate. This was also to my mind an object lesson in how to use a traditional musical language in a contemporary way. Some of this work was, dare I say it, beautiful, especially the development of a wind and then brass motif which reminded me of Shostakovich. This is a real piece of music, probably nearer Grade 5 than Grade 4 in its exposed writing and intensity.”
- Program Note by Timothy Reynish
Lament is a single-movement work commissioned in 2002 by the All-Japan Band Association as a required piece for the All-Japan Band Contest, and it also won the 13th annual Asahi Composition Award.
Lament is a musical term meaning grief or song of mourning. It is my hope that the title does not become a mere decoration for the performance.
- Program Note by the composer
- Lament for Wind Orchestra has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
- Audio CD: Soka Gloria Wind Orchestra (Seiji Sagawa, conductor) - 2002
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Illinois (Champaign) University Band (Barry L. Houser, conductor) - 25 April 2019
- Portland (Ore.) Wind Symphony (Chris Chapman, conductor) - 14 May 2018
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Ensemble (Chad R. Nicholson, conductor) - 26 April 2018
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Mallory Thompson, conductor) – 13 October 2017
- University of Arkansas - Little Rock Wind Ensemble (Ken Goff, conductor) 25 April 2017
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Robert Taylor, conductor) – 20 November 2015
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Wind Ensemble (John A. Climer, conductor) – 15 July 2015 - WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
- CAM Bétera (Valencia, Spain) – 6 January 2013
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Afferoce (2014)
- Arirang and Akatonbo (as arranger) (2003)
- As the Sun Rises
- Carnival Day (1999)
- Cherry Blossom Brilliance (2017)
- Concerto for Wind Orchestra (2016)
- Dithyrambos for Wind Orchestra (2006)
- Divertimento Based on Chatsumi
- Fantajia (2016)
- Humoresque (2010)
- Lament for Wind Orchestra (2002)
- Mindscape for Wind Orchestra (2015)
- Ode to R.S. (2012)
- Pansori'c Rhapsody (2008)
- Vanitas for Wind Orchestra (2011)
Koh, C. (2002). Lament for Wind Orchestra [score]. All Japan Band Association and Brain Music: Hiroshima, Japan.