Subtitle: Symphony in 3 Scenes
1. La Sinfonia - 4:55
2. Una Poeta - 8:15
3. La Vita - 6:50
The three movements may be purchased separately.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
In the past few years, Ito has been writing vocal music, becoming aware of the beauty of the Japanese language. He thought of applying this to band music, and this piece was born. What is a symphony? What is contemporary music? What is the difference between popular music and serious music? This work is his answer to all these questions.
La Sinfonia means The Symphony. Una Poeta, quoted from his own vocal music, is "A Poet". La Vita has a different nuance from the English word "the Life". What the music expresses is, as Arthur Rimbaud says, "Ma vie etait le festin" (My life was a feast).
La Vita is a serious three-movement work that features every member of the ensemble. The first movement features a traditional symphonic development of two themes. The second movement opens and closes with tasteful percussion section writing, and features warm brass and lyrical woodwind lines. The third movement features a Japanese folk-inspired theme that builds to a dramatic climax.
This work was commissioned by the National Cultural Festival in Oita.
- Program Note by publisher
- Audio CD: Osaka (Japan) Municipal Symphonic Band
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) Symphonic Band (Kirk Saville, conductor) – 12 December 2019
- Knightwind Ensemble (Milwaukee, Wisc.) (Erik N. Janners, conductor) – 10 February 2019
- Feroci Philharmonic Winds (Bangkok, Thailand) (Yasuhide Ito, conductor) – 31 October 2017
- Yuetao Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Taipei, Taiwan) (Gary Brattin, conductor) - 30 March 2010
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Adagio for Band
- A la Suite Classique (1996)
- As Time Is Passing On (2000)
- Choral Fantasy
- Cioccolata d'amore
- Concertino for piano and band (Ito)
- Evocation (Ito)
- Fanfares for National Athletic Meet at Fukushima
- Fantasia Classica
- Fantasy Variations (Ito) (2004/2012)
- Festal Scenes (1986)
- Festeggiamo e Cantiamo, Musica Festiva per Banda
- Funa-Uta (1993/1999)
- Gloriosa ("Gururiyoza") (1990)
- Go For Broke
- Hamamatsu Overture
- Kokiriko alla Marcia
- La Vita (1998)
- Liturgia Sinfonica
- Maiko Spring March
- March 'fuji no Yama'
- March 'Over the Century'
- March 'Over the Wind'
- March 'The Three Tops Hill'
- March, Wind & Sun
- Meguru Kisetsu ni
- Melodies for Wind Ensemble
- Morning Songs in Hiroshima (2009)
- On the March
- Pacem et gloriam pro nobis
- Peace, Peace, so Sing the Birds (2018)
- Piano Concerto (Ito)
- Planets, The, Trilogy for Band
- Preludio Celebrativo
- Rapsodia di Toyama
- Rapsodia Formasa
- Remembrance II
- Ryukuan Fantasy for Band (1997)
- Sinfonia Singaporiana (2005)
- Solo Una Volta! (2013)
- Soma Festival March
- Soma Festival March No.2
- Sonata Classica
- That Which He Has Taught Us (2015)
- Variations from the Northern Sea (1993)
- Yasuhide Ito website Accessed 4 February 2019