Subtitle: An Evening at the Court of Henry VIII
1. The King's Entrance - 1:05
2. The King's Supper - 1:09
3. The King's Entertainment - 1:34
B-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
Horn in F
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Low Drum
None discovered thus far.
It's rare that younger bands get to perform an entire suite, and here's a chance to teach a little history at the same time. The three pieces that this suite is based on were written by or for Henry VIII to be performed in his court for feasts and celebrations in the early 16th century. This arrangement captures the mood and majesty of an evening in the King's court!
- Program Note from publisher
Henry VIII did more than just revamp the English legal system and do away with many of this wives. He was also a great lover of music. This new suite for young band recreates an evening of music at Henry's court, including a piece by the king himself. Movements are The Kings's Entrance, The King's Supper, and "The King's Entertainment.
- Program Note by Grand Mesa Music
Subtitled “An Evening at the Court of Henry VIII,” The King’s Feast uses pieces written by or for King Henry VIII (1491-1547). All three pieces, Kyng Harry the Vilith Pavyn (first movement) — composer unknown, TrollyLolly (second movement) by William Cornysh (1465 - 1523), and Pastyme with Good Companye (third movement) — attributed to Henry VIII, are written in three parts. The arranger has presented each piece authentically, adding tempo markings, dynamics, articulation, and percussion parts representative of the practice at the time they were written.
- Program Note by McCracken Middle School Symphonic Band concert program, 18 December 2013
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Cypress Falls High School Symphonic Band (Frank Troyka, conductor) - 2004
- Alabama: Class D
- Florida: II
- North Carolina: II
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- McCracken Middle School (Skokie, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Chip De Stefano, conductor) – 18 December 2013 (2013 Midwest Clinic)
- Ensemble and conductor not identified - 2011
- Cypress Falls High School (Houston, Tx.) Symphonic Band (Frank Troyka, conductor) – 16 December 2004 (2004 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- The King's Feast (arr. Singleton) (2003)
- Pastime with Good Company (arr. Sparke) (15--?/2005)
- Pastime with Good Company (arr. Wiffin) (15--?/2007)
- Rose Without a Thorn (arr. Howarth) (1530 /1991)
- Perusal score
- Singleton, K.; Cornysh, W. (2003). The King's Feast: An Evening at the Court of Henry VIII [score]. Grand Mesa: Grand Junction, Colo.