Kevin Walczyk (b. 1964, Portland, Ore.) is an American composer.
Dr. Walczyk received a Bachelor of Arts in Education degree from Pacific Lutheran University in 1987 and the Master of Music and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees from the University of North Texas where he was the recipient of the Hexter Prize for outstanding graduate student. Walczyk's principal composition instructors have included Larry Austin, Jacob Avshalomov, Thomas Clark, Martin Mailman, and Cindy McTee. As an accomplished jazz arranger and composer, Walczyk refined his craft with prominent jazz arrangers Tom Kubis and Frank Mantooth, and served as arranger for the renowned University of North Texas One O'clock Lab Band (1988-89).
Walczyk is currently Professor of music at Western Oregon University in Monmouth, Oregon where he teaches composition, orchestration, jazz arranging, film scoring, media production, and serves as the Graduate Music Coordinator. Walczyk's students have garnered awards that include the BMI Student Composers Awards, the Oregon Symphony Conti-Connection Composition Competition, and the Oregon Symphony Creative Kids Composition Competition. He has served as resident composition instructor and/or guest composer of youth children initiatives with the Oregon Symphony, Portland Youth Philharmonic, and the Metropolitan Learning Center of Portland. Walczyk has also served as guest composer at Indiana University, University of Oklahoma, Mary Washington University, University of South Carolina, and University of Kansas. Walczyk was selected as Western Oregon University's Faculty Excellence Award winner (1998-99) and the Academic Outstanding Advisor of the Year (2006-07). As one of 13 faculty members nationwide, Walczyk was awarded the Certificate of Merit for Outstanding Faculty Advisor from the National Academic Advising Association (2008-09).
Recent composition honors include nominations for the prestigous Pulitzer Prize in music composition (2011) and the Grawemeyer Award (2012). His recent prizes include the 9th annual Raymond & Beverly Sackler Music Composition Prize (2012) and the 2012 Big East Conference Band Director's Association Composition Contest. He has received grants from Meet the Composer, Argosy Foundation, American Music Center, and Western Oregon University. He has earned prizes or finalist status from the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble's Harvey Gaul Competition (commissioning prize), Chamber Orchestra Kremlin's International-Blitz Competition (2nd Grand Prize), the National Band Association's William D. Revelli Memorial Composition Contest, College Band Directors National Association, ASCAP, BMI, Lionel Hampton Creative Composition Contest, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Wind Ensemble Composition Competition, three Masterworks of the New Era recording prizes from ERM Media, Minnesota Orchestra Composer Institute, Los Angeles Philharmonic Synergy project, the Lionel Hampton Creative Composition Competition, and Pacific Coast College Jazz Festival Merit of Achievement in Composition. Walczyk was selected as the Midwest Clinic 2010 commissioned composer and was selected for a special commission for the 2011 Midwest Clinic international conference.
Works for Winds
- Celebration Fanfare (2003)
- Centenary Anthem
- Children's Folksong Suite (2007)
- Concerto Gaucho (2007)
- Concerto Scion
- Divertimento for Brass Quintet
- Elegy for the Wall's Unnamed (2015)
- Eloi, Eloi (2015)
- Emblems of Sacrifice (2016)
- From Glory to Glory (2011)
- Lateral Perspectives
- Peloton (2018)
- Planted on the Crystal Sea (2018)
- Sojourn of Dreams (2015)
- Songs of Paradise (1941/2011)
- Star Dust (arr Walczyk) (as arranger) (2013)
- Symphony No. 2 (2010)
- Symphony No. 3 (2013)
- Symphony No. 4 (2017)
- Symphony No. 5 (2018)
- Visionplace of Souls (2001/2008)
- Winter Ricercar (2014)
- Barbosa, Luslaida. "Peloton." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 598-608. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.
- Eaddy, Jr., Jack A. "Eloi Eloi." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 535-541. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Kevin Walczyk website
- Pham, Danh T. "Children's Folksong Suite." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 336-344. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Popiel, Paul W. "From Glory to Glory." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 707-714. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Popiel, Paul W. "Songs of Paradise." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 477-486. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.
- Waldron, Nicholas P. "Sojourn of Dreams." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 11, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 794-801. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2018.
- Wollam, Seth F. "Symphony No. 2: 'Epitaphs Unwritten'." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 1039-1051. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Wollam, Seth F. "Symphony No. 4 ("Unforsaken")." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 1059-1069. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.