Joyce's 71st NY Reg't March
Year: 1881 / 1937
Duration: c. 1:55
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Carl Fischer
Cost: Score and Parts – Out of print.
For availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet Solo-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (3 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Share Drum
None discovered thus far.
Joyce’s 71st was one of several famous 19th-century regimental bands in New York. Others were the 13th, led by Harvey Dodworth; the Ninth, (D. L. Downing); the Seventh, (Claudio Grafulla); and the 22nd (Patrick Gilmore). With expert conductors and talented immigrant and native members, these bands were models for many other 19th-century groups. As pointed out by march researcher Bob Hoe on Volume 42 of the Heritage of the March series, “All arrangers do not necessarily follow the exact intentions of the original composer.” In 1937, the arranger Mayhew Lake retained Boyer’s original melodies but changed harmonies, used a different key for the trio, composed a new euphonium countermelody for the final section, and altered some of the rhythms.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
- Audio CD: United States Army Band - 2005
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas Christian University (Fort Worth) Wind Symphony (Bobby R. Francis, conductor) – 3 October 2019
- North Hills High School (Pittsburgh, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Len Lavelle, conductor) - 4 April 2019
- Vandegrift High School (Austin, Tx.) Wind Ensemble (Mike Howard, conductor) - 15 February 2019 (2019 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- Austin (Tx.) Civic Wind Ensemble (Robert Laguna, conductor) - 4 July 2018
- University of North Texas (Denton) Wind Ensemble (Nicholas E. Williams, conductor) – 13 April 2017
- United States Army Band (Ft. Myer, Va.) (Timothy J. Holton, conductor) – 4 February 2017
- United States Navy Band (Kenneth Collins, conductor) – 10 March 2016 (CBDNA 2016 Eastern Division Conference, New London, Conn.)
- Plano (Tex.) Senior High School Band - 5 February 2015
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Charles Buck III, conductor) - 19 June 2012
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Captain Osterman's March (1931)
- Clarke's Triumphal March (1928)
- Joyce's 71st NY Reg't March (arr. Lake) (1881/1937)
- Sousa's Triumphal March (1930)
- Trojan Band March (1931)
- Boyer, T.; Lake, M. (1937). Joyce's 71st Reg't March [score]. Carl Fischer: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "T.B. Boyer." Accessed 24 August 2015
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 82.