John Ottman (b. 6 July 1964, San Diego, Calif.) is an American film composer and editor.
Ottman graduated from the School of Cinematic Arts of the University of Southern California in 1988. One of his first assignments was to provide original music for the computer game I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. In 2007, Ottman appeared in the documentary Finding Kraftland for his agent Richard Kraft.
He is best known for his collaborations with film director Bryan Singer, acting as editor and composer for his films The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, X2, Superman Returns (including adapting themes originally composed by John Williams), Valkyrie, Jack the Giant Slayer and X-Men: Days of Future Past.
He also directed (in addition to editing and scoring) the 2000 horror film Urban Legends: Final Cut. He won a BAFTA Award for Best Editing for The Usual Suspects, as well as two Saturn Awards for Best Music for The Usual Suspects and Superman Returns.
Works for Winds
- Jack the Giant Slayer: Selections (arr. Moren)
- Selections from "Superman Returns" (arr. López) (2006)
- Valkyrie (arr. Kadlec)
- X-Men 2: X-Men United: Themes (arr. López)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "John Ottman." Accessed 17 January 2018
- John Ottman, Wikipedia Accessed 17 January 2018