Jig Is Up, The
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Gourd (with beads)
- Log Drums (high and low)
- Orchestra Bells
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal, high and low
- Timpani & Gourd: Pattern established at "D" should not change in m. 98, 114, 132.
- Oboe and Clarinet I m. 62, missing accidentals for concert B naturals.
- Trumpet II: Letter "I" is off by a measure in the part.
My original intent in composing The Jig Is Up was to create a playful, lighthearted tune and dance as homage to composer Percy Aldridge Grainger, whose music for winds I have always admired and whose biography I had recently read. However, as is often the case with the musical treatment of an Irish folk music these days (the main "jig" theme, while an original melody has the sounds and feel of an Irish folk tune), other ethnic elements found their way into the work, particularly in the percussion "jam" that underscores a large portion of the middle and end of the composition. A chorale-like segment comes out of the first jam and then transitions back to the 6/8 tune. With a return to the percussion tutti, the winds build to a unison flourish to conclude the piece.
- Program Note by composer
The Jig is Up was commissioned by the Minnesota Chapter of the College Band Directors National Association, and was first premiered at the Minnesota Music Educators Association Mid-Winter Clinic on February 15, 2003, by the Minnesota Intercollegiate Band, with James Smith conducting.
- Program Note from Teaching Music Through Performance in Band
None discovered thus far.
- Louisiana: III
- Michigan: Senior High A
- Minnesota: II
- South Carolina: V
- Tennessee: IV
- Texas: III. Complete
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Milford (Ohio) High School Wind Ensemble (Tim Dailey, conductor) – 24 November 2019
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis) North Star Campus Band (J. Nick Smith, conductor) – 24 October 2019
- West Chester University (Penn.) Concert Band (Adam Gumble, conductor) – 24 April 2019
- CSU-Pueblo, Festival of Winds Green Wind Orchestra (Timothy Diem, conductor) - 16 February 2019
- University of South Florida (Tampa) Band Camp (Matthew McCutchen, conductor) – 24 July 2015
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alyeska: The Great Land
- American Jubilee, An
- American Tapestry, An (2003)
- Fantasia Variations on "Eternal Alleluia's"
- Galop (2015)
- Groundhog's Lament, The
- Halama Christmas, A (2004)
- The Jig Is Up (2003)
- March Emeritus
- Metamorphosis (1986/2005)
- Overture from "Yankee Doodling"
- Promenade and Galop
- Sea Creatures
- Streets of Honor
- There Was a Composer of Genius
- Vanishing Snows of Kilimanjaro, The (Tribute and Lament for Winds)
- Visit With Old Joe, A
- Yankee Doodling: A Young Person's Guide to the Concert Band
- Daniel Kallman website Accessed 3 September 2017
- Kallman, D. (2004). The Jig Is Up [score]. Boosey & Hawkes: New York.
- Wright, Lauren Denney. "The Jig is Up." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 425-430. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.