Barry Jeffrey (Jeff) Jordan (30 August 1958, Raleigh, N.C. - December 31, 2021, Hays, Kan.) was an American conductor, educator and composer.
Dr. Jordan held a Bachelor of Arts degree in music education from Florida Southern College, a master's in composition from the University of Kansas and earned his Doctor of Musical Arts degree in conducting from the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music. While a student at UMKC, his research paper entitled Gustav Holst's Hammersmith: A Perfect Fit Between Medium and Message received the 1999 Paul Revitt Memorial Award from the College Music Society Great Plains Chapter and his Quintet was premiered by the Fountain City Brass at the annual meeting of the same organization in 2000. His principal teachers included Gary Hill and Sarah McKoin (conducting), as well as John Pozdro, James Barnes, Jack Stamp and Paul Rudy (composition). Professional affiliations include Phi Beta Mu, Music Educators National Conference, Florida Bandmasters Association, Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia and the College Music Society.
For 19 years ,Jordan was the director of bands at Fort Hays (Kan.) State University here he conducted the wind ensemble and marching band, taught courses in conducting, music education and arranging, instructed the horn studio and oversaw student teachers.
Prior to arriving at FHSU, he served as the opening band director and music department chair for Olympia High School in Orlando, Florida. Dr. Jordan's public school teaching experience included 16 years at all levels in Central Florida and Kansas. During his tenure at Seminole High School, he was elected to Who's Who Among America's Teachers, was selected as Teacher of the Year and was a Top Ten Finalist for County Teacher of the Year.
Works for Winds
- Baker, Joe. "Fort Hays State loses longtime music professor to cancer." MSN, 6 January 2022. Web. Accessed 7 January 2022
- "Dr. Barry Jeffrey Jordan." Hays Post, 7 January 2022. Web. Accessed 7 January 2022
- Jeff Jordan, C. Alan Publications Accessed 22 March 2016
- Jeff Jordan, Fort Hays State University Accessed 22 March 2016
- Jeff Jordan website Accessed 18 August 2017
- Lamb, Brian. "and a time." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 302-306. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.