James A. Beckel Jr. (b. 16 July 1948, Marion, Ohio) is an American composer and educator.
He received a bachelor’s degree from Indiana University in 1972. He has served as principal trombone of the Indianapolis Symphony since 1969 and has been on the faculties of DePauw University (1971-) and the University of Indianapolis (1980-).
Among the ensembles which have performed his works are the Baltimore Symphony, the Boston Pops, the Buffalo Philharmonic, the Detroit Symphony, the Indianapolis Symphony, the Nashville Symphony, the Phoenix Symphony, and the United States Coast Guard Band. His horn concerto, The Glass Bead Game, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in 1997.
Works for Winds
- The American Dream (1997)
- American Journey
- A Christmas Fanfare (1992/2005)
- Concerto for Trombone (2014)
- Freedom Tower
- From the Earth to the Moon and Beyond
- Gardens of Stone
- The Glass Bead Game (1997/1999)
- I Am the American Flag
- In the Mind's Eye (2010)
- Inaugural Fanfare
- Liberty for All (2000/2002)
- Make a Joyful Noise
- Symphonie Concertante (as arranger) (1926/1967)
- Symphony for Band
- Jim Beckel Music Accessed 30 August 2021