Jack Bullock (7 June 1929, Syracuse, N.Y. – April 2022) had a varied and illustrious career in music as a performer, composer, arranger and educator.
He held undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees from Ithaca College and the University of Miami in the field of music education. As a performer, he studied trumpet with Harry Glantz, James Ode and Craig McHenry, and performed with the Miami Philharmonic Orchestra and the Miami Opera Company. He also performed statewide with New York show and territory bands, and nationally with traveling dance bands.
As a prolific composer and arranger, Dr. Bullock wrote more than 600 publications for a diverse group of ensembles, including concert band, orchestra, jazz ensemble and marching band. He was the co-author of the Belwin 21st Century Band Method, and was a contributing arranger for the recordings of Music Expressions, the innovative school music curriculum published by Alfred.
Dr. Bullock taught instrumental music in the classroom for 20 years. For seven of those years, he taught at the School of Music at Ithaca College (NY) as an assistant band director. He was also the chair of the Music Education Department for four years. Additionally, he gave clinics and workshops in England, Canada and most of the 50 United States.
Dr. Bullock is listed in the Marquis Who's Who in the Media and Communications, First Edition (1998/99) and the Who's Who in Entertainment, Third Edition (1998/99). He was a member of ASCAP since 1980.
Works for Winds
- At the Apex (2002)
- Big Band Spectacular (as arranger)
- Carnival of Venice (as arranger) (1998)
- El Capitan (as arranger) (1896/1999)
- Emperor Waltz (as arranger) (1888/2003)
- The Empire Strikes Back (as transcriber) (1980)
- Fantasia on We Three Kings (as arranger) (2007)
- Five to Go
- Four of a Kind (1985)
- Gymnopedie No. 1 (as arranger) (1888/2008)
- Highlights from "The Partridge Family" (as arranger) (1972)
- In the Bleak Midwinter (as arranger) (1906/1996)
- Larghetto (as arranger) (1738/1994)
- Places USA (1994)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark Medley (as arranger) (1981)
- Rain (as arranger) (2008)
- A Salute to New York City (as arranger) (2005)
- Story of Mumble Happy Feet, The (as arranger) (2007)
- Suite from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (as arranger) (2002/2007)
- Three Concert Openers
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (as arranger) (2007)
- Twelve Days of Christmas (as arranger) (2005)