In Memoriam: Karel Husa
Duration: c. 16:25
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III-IV
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
C Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Gongs (3: high, medium and low)
None discovered thus far.
It was in August 1973, at the Ithaca College School of Music Graduate Reception that I was introduced to Karel Husa. We sat down and had a conversation that lasted for over an hour. Karel was a very special person. To study composition with Karel was a privilege.
Throughout the years that have passed, the letters, the phone calls, and then the emails, Karel still had the warmth and caring of that very first conversation.
After I heard of the passing of Karel, I knew I wanted to do something. I read the heartwarming message that Mark Scatterday and Donald Hunsberger wrote concerning the passing of this great man. This pushed me in the right direction.
Here are my thoughts, in my music, concerning Karel. The words of Mark and Don motivated me in a way that the music just seemed to happen. They both understood. We who were extremely fortunate to study and maintain a wonderful friendship with this remarkable man are truly blessed.
- Program Note by composer
In Memoriam: Karel Husa was written in 2017, after Husa’s passing in December 2016. The premiere performance took place on May 6, 2018, by the Eastman Wind Ensemble under Mark Scatterday. The work is dedicated to the latter as well as to Donald Hunsberger. It has a duration of 15 minutes and calls for a standard wind ensemble instrumentation.
- Program Note from WASBE
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Eastman Wind Orchestra (Rochester, N.Y.) (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) – 6 May 2018 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- After Sunset
- Ankrovag Fanfare, from A Jack Stamp Suite (2017)
- Chant and Toccata
- Concerto no. 2 for Bassoon and Wind Orchestra
- Concerto for Flute and Wind Ensemble
- Concerto for Horn
- Concerto for Percussion and Wind Ensemble (2014)
- Danza No 2 (2008)
- Danza No 3
- DF-XXXVII Fanfare (2018)
- In Memoriam: Dean Witten (2019)
- In Memoriam: Karel Husa (2018)
- In Memoriam: Kristina (1997/2002)
- Intrada for Wind Ensemble (2002)
- Medieval Variations
- Metamorphosis (2019)
- Night Dances (1994)
- Night Dances No 2 (2013)
- Pastoral Nocturne (1996)
- Red Tail Skirmish (2012)
- Scenes for Wind Ensemble (2015)
- Stained Glass Windows (2013)
- TMCC Fanfare (2022)
- "IN MEMORIAM KAREL HUSA for Wind Ensemble by Bruce Yurko (USA, 1951)." WASBE. Web. (Featured as WASBE’s Composition of the Week, 6 December 2021). Accessed 11 January 2023
- Perusal score