Duration: c. 5:00
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: C. Alan Publications
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $70.00 | Score Only (print) - $12.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II, including:
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
None discovered thus far.
Impulse Engine is based on simple, motoric, fanfare-like motives that are tossed about the ensemble. This high-energy piece is based on another of Bremer's compositions Throw Caution to the Wind (for brass and percussion) which was commissioned for the Monarch Brass Ensemble by the Oklahoma Summer Wind Festival in 1996.
- Program Note from publisher
For John Carnahan.
- Program Note from score
- SCSBOA Band Music List: IV
- MusicFest Canada: B400
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Colorado (Boulder) Concert Band (Branden Steinmetz, conductor) - 17 April 2023
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Mast, conductor) – 1 October 2022
- University of Southern Maine (Gorham) Concert Band (Jackie Townsend, conductor) – 5 October 2019
- Henderson State University (Arkadelphia, Ark.) Wind Ensemble (Shaun Popp, conductor) – 19 April 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Dances from the Age of Aquarius (2005)
- Early Light (1999)
- Impulse Engine (2004)
- Next of Kin to Chaos (1993)
- Pieces of Eight (2009)
- Regional Accents (1999)
- Symphony for Wind Band (2002)
- Throw Caution to the Wind
- Tinker to Evers to Chance (2000/2006)
- Venus Palimpsest (2001)
- Bremer, C.; Carnahan, J. (2006). Impulse Engine [score]. C. Alan Publications: Greensboro, N.C.
- Carolyn Bremer website Accessed 19 April 2018
- The Horizon Leans Forward..., compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 271.
- Townsend, Jackie. "Impulse Engine." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 12, Compiled and edited by Andrew Trachsel, 372-378. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2021.