I Wander the World in a Dream of My Own Making
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
When Robert Rumbelow approached me to write a piece for wind ensemble for this wonderful consortium commission, I was really delighted, as I had been thinking of a piece for these forces for some time and was eager to try some of the acoustic things that I do in my pieces for symphony orchestra in a different context. I have long been interested in the idea of trying to “build in” an acoustic into my orchestrations; that is, to create the effect, for instance, of a melody which has a sense of sustain as if it were being played in a cathedral even though it is not -- to build that reverberation into the orchestration. I was very pleased to see that not only could I achieve similar effects but also different and even more exciting things with various combinations of winds, brass, and percussion.
The title for this work is a reference to the compositional process. Writing a piece of music is like creating a dream that you want to have. The feeling that pervades the work is one of a sense of mystery, and this sentiment is primarily conveyed through the harmonies and orchestration.
The work is based on two ideas: the first is a short, two-note motive, and the second is a descending melody of five notes, ending in the repetition of the final note several times. This second material could be called the main melody, and it always appears shrouded in a kind of haze, until toward the very end of the work.
- Program Note by composer
This work received its premiere performance by the Columbus State University (Columbus, Ga.) Wind Ensemble, conducted by Robert Rumbelow, in April 2006.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Eastman Wind Ensemble (Rochester, N.Y.) (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) - 6 October 2021
- University of Delaware Wind Ensemble (Lauren Reynolds, conductor) – 6 December 2017
- University of Illinois (Champaign) Wind Symphony (Will Sugg, conductor) – 4 November 2017
- University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Wind Ensemble (Scott Teeple, conductor) – 25 February 2017
- Eastman Wind Ensemble (Rochester N.Y.) (Mark Davis Scatterday, conductor) - 28 January 2015
- University of Hawaii Wind Ensemble (Jeffrey Boeckman, conductor) - 24 February 2013
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) Wind Ensemble (Joseph P. Missal, conductor) – 25 March 2009 (CBDNA 2009 National Conference (Austin, Tx.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Marimba and Wind Sinfonietta (2013)
- Etenraku (1996)
- The Here and Now (2005/2009)
- I Wander the World in a Dream of My Own Making (2008)
- Off the Clock (2019)
- Sweet Like That (2011)
- Christopher Theofanidis website
- Theofanidis, C. (2005). I Wander the World in a Dream of My Own Making: Wind Ensemble [score]. [C. Theofanidis: United States]