Huntingtower (ed Binney)
Subtitled Ballad for Band
English Horn (optional)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone (optional)
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
B-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone (optional)
F Horn I-II-III-IV
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III (III optional)
String Bass (optional)
- Bass Drum
- Gong (Tam-Tam)
- Snare Drum
See Vol. 4 of the Timothy Topolewski Errata Studies for the Wind Band Conductor.
Huntingtower was composed at the request of the American Bandmasters' Association, and is dedication to Edwin Franko Goldman - the guru of American band music between the wars. It gives more than a passing glance at Respighi's sumptuously-scored orchestral works -- the 'Rome' triptych for instance - although the piece dates from the time of the Ancient Airs and Dances.
- Program Note from score
Respighi's Huntingtower Ballad, written in 1932, is a short sombre work with some interesting exploitation of the lower wind instruments.
- Program Note from A New Day for Band Music by Richard F. Goldman
This edition has only minor editorial differences with the original. This should be considered closest to Respighi's intentions. Bracketed markings and optional instruments are editorial decisions.
- Audio CD: United States Air Force Band (Lieutenant Lowell E. Graham, conductor).
- Audio CD: West Chester University Wind Ensemble (Andrew Yozviak, conductor).
- Online Recording: Group Unknown
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
Works for Winds by this Composer
This composer primarily wrote orchestral music. Other transcriptions of his music include:
- Airs of the Court (arr. Longfield) (1931/2009)
- Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I (tr. Johnson)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (arr. Kimura) (1931/1995)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (trans. Nefs) (1931/2016)
- Bergomasca from Ancient Airs
- Church Windows (arr. Schyns) (1926/2007)
- Feste Romane (arr. Kimura) (2006)
- The Fountains of Rome (arr. Junkin) (1916)
- Fountains of Rome, The (tr. Odom) (1916)
- Huntingtower (1932)
- Huntingtower (orch. Cesarini) (1932/1987)
- Huntingtower (arr. Suzuki) (1932/2001)
- Huntingtower (ed. Binney) (1932/1991)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (tr. Mahaffey) (2009)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (1922)
- Pines of Rome (arr. Kimura) (1924)
- Pines of Rome (trans. Duker) (1924/1966)
- Pines of the Appian Way (ed. Leidzen) (1924/1948)
- Roman Festivals (arr. Patterson) (1928)
- Trittico Botticelliano (arr. Hanna) (1927/201?)
- Kinsey, Jordan E. (2011) "Conductor Guides to Three Standard Works for Wind Band"
- Persual Score
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 496-497.
- Zembower, C. (2008). Gems of Parallelism. Journal of Band Research, 43(2).