Subtitled Ballad for Band
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II
B-flat Trumpet I-II
F Horn I-II-III-IV
String Bass I-II
- Bass Drum
- Gong (Tam-Tam)
- Snare Drum
- Bb Clarinet III, m. 20: The C-flat should be a B-flat in both score and part.
- Bass Clarinet, m. 4: The E-flat should be an E-Natural in both score and part.
- Bassoon II, m. 7-8: A tie is missing in the part (correct in the score).
- Horn IV, m. 28: The C-natural should be a C-sharp in both score and part.
- Bb Trumpet II, m. 86: The D-flat should be a D-natural in both score and part.
- Euphonium m. 20. The B-double flat should be an A-flat in both score and part.
Respighi's Huntingtower Ballad, written in 1932, is a short sombre work with some interesting exploitation of the lower wind instruments.
- Program Note from A New Day for Band Music by Richard F. Goldman
Written for Edwin Franko Goldman and the American Bandmasters' Association
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- State University of New York, Fredonia, Concert Band (Ray Stewart, conductor) – 5 March 2020
- Indiana State University Wind Orchestra (Nikk Pilato, conductor) - 21 November 2019
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Wind Symphony (Christopher Hughes, conductor) – 12 December 2018
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 25 September 2018
Works for Winds by this Composer
This composer primarily wrote orchestral music. Other transcriptions of his music include:
- Airs of the Court (arr. Longfield) (1931/2009)
- Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I (tr. Johnson)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (arr. Kimura) (1931/1995)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (trans. Nefs) (1931/2016)
- Bergomasca from Ancient Airs
- Church Windows (arr. Schyns) (1926/2007)
- Feste Romane (arr. Kimura) (2006)
- The Fountains of Rome (arr. Junkin) (1916)
- Fountains of Rome, The (tr. Odom) (1916)
- Huntingtower (1932)
- Huntingtower (orch. Cesarini) (1932/1987)
- Huntingtower (arr. Suzuki) (1932/2001)
- Huntingtower (ed. Binney) (1932/1991)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (tr. Mahaffey) (2009)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (1922)
- Pines of Rome (arr. Kimura) (1924)
- Pines of Rome (trans. Duker) (1924/1966)
- Pines of the Appian Way (ed. Leidzen) (1924/1948)
- Roman Festivals (arr. Patterson) (1928)
- Trittico Botticelliano (arr. Hanna) (1927/201?)
- Wind Repertory Project Blog
- Kinsey, Jordan E. (2011) "Conductor Guides to Three Standard Works for Wind Band"
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 496-497.
- Zembower, C. (2008). Gems of Parallelism. Journal of Band Research, 43(2).