Holly and the Ivy, The (arr Davis)
For additional availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
The Holly and the Ivy is a traditional British folk Christmas carol. The song is catalogued as Roud Folk Song Index No. 514. It was adapted into both a play and later film by Wynyard Browne.
The words of the carol occur in three broadsides published in Birmingham in the early nineteenth century. An early mention of the carol's title occurs in William Hone's 1823 work Ancient Mysteries Described, which includes "The holly and the ivy, now are both well grown" among an alphabetical list of "Christmas Carols, now annually printed" that were in the author's possession.
The usual melody for the carol was first published in Cecil Sharp's 1911 collection English Folk-Carols. Sharp states that he heard the tune sung by "Mrs. Mary Clayton, at Chipping Camden". Sharp's manuscript transcription of Clayton's singing of the third verse is dated "Jan 13th 1909". The melody is notable in being confined to the notes of the hexachord.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Eastern Shore Wind Ensemble (Chestertown, Md.) (Charles Thai, conductor) – 16 December 2018
- Stonewall Brigade Band (Staunton, Va.) (Kevin Haynes, conductor) – 11 December 2017
- Tualatin Valley (Ore.) Community Band (Kevin Soon, conductor) – 3 December 2017
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Keith Waibel, conductor) – 11 December 2016
- Mascoutah (Ill.) High School Band (Sandy Haynes, conductor) – December 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Auld Lang Syne
- Away in a Manger (as arranger with Longfield) (2003)
- Cantique de Noel (as arranger)
- Carol of the Bells (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1904 [1914?]/2009)
- Celebration (arr. Longfield)
- Deck the Halls (as arranger with Longfield)
- Faeries (as arranger)
- Fanfare and Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (arr. Longfield)
- The First Noel (arr. Longfield)
- A Fresh Aire Christmas (as arranger, with Custer) (1990)
- Fum, Fum, Fum (as arranger, with Longfield) (2006)
- Good King Wenceslas (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1984/2007)
- Greensleeves (arr. Davis; ed. Longfield) (2011)
- Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing (1988)
- Hallelujah (as arranger; adapt. Longfield) (1741/2004)
- The Holly and the Ivy (as arranger) (1988/1995)
- O Little Town of Bethlehem (as arranger; adapt. Longfield)
- Pat-a-Pan (as arranger)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Longfield)
- Stille Nacht (as arranger with Vinson) (1818/1985)
- Davis, C.; Longfield, R. (1995). The holly and the ivy [score]. Dots and Lines Ink: Omaha, Neb.
- The Holly and the Ivy, Wikipedia Accessed 26 December 2016