Highlights from "Guys and Dolls"
Frank Loesser (arr. Calvin Custer)
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1950 / 1994
Duration: c. 7:10
Difficulty: III (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $65.00 | Score Only (print) - $7.50
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
After forty years, one of Broadway's legendary shows has returned and is bigger than ever. Featuring the songs of Frank Loesser that made the show a classic, this medley is designed for maximum entertainment. Includes: If I Were a Bell, Luck Be a Lady, Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat, I've Never Been in Love Before, A Bushel and a Peck, and Guys and Dolls.
- Program Note from publisher
Guys and Dolls is a musical with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser and book by Jo Swerling and Abe Burrows. It is based on two short stories by Damon Runyon. These stories, written in the 1920s and 1930s, concerned gangsters, gamblers, and other characters of the New York underworld.
The premiere on Broadway was in 1950. It ran for 1200 performances and won the Tony Award for Best Musical. Guys and Dolls was selected as the winner of the 1951 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. However, because of writer Abe Burrows' troubles with the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC), the Trustees of Columbia University vetoed the selection, and no Pulitzer for Drama was awarded that year.
- Program Note adapted from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Brazil (Ind.) Concert Band (Matt Huber, conductor) – 9 June 2019
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Randy Schwalbe, conductor) – 12 May 2018
- Golden Gate Park Band (San Francisco, Calif.) (Robert Calonico, conductor) - 1 July 2018
- Atascadero (Calif.) Community Band (Keith Waibel, conductor) – 15 August 2017
- Around the Sound Concert Band (Michael Alstad, conductor) – 3 May 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Baby, It's Cold Outside (arr. Moss) (1944/2008)
- Guys and Dolls Overture (arr. Lang) (1950/1951)
- Highlights from "Guys and Dolls" (arr. Custer) (1950/1994)
- Luck Be a Lady Tonight (arr. Sampson) (1950)
- New Ashmolean Marching Society and Students Conservatory Band, The (arr. Yoder) (1948/1950)
- Selections from "Hans Christan Andersen"
- Selections from "The Most Happy Fella"
- Guys and Dolls, Wikipedia Accessed 17 August 2017
- Loesser, F.; Custer, C. (1994). Highlights from Guys and Dolls [score]. Hal Leonard: Milwaukee, Wisc.