HRH Duke of Cambridge
This work bears the designation Opus 60.
For additional availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Arnold wrote this march in 1957 for the centennial of the Royal Military Music School at Kneller Hall. The Duke of Cambridge was, at that time, Commander-in-Chief of the British Army. The dedication of the march reads, “To Lt. Col. David McBain,” who was bandmaster there.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
The cantabile melody of the middle section provides contrast to the richly scored opening and grand finale: a contrast between the band sounds of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- Program Note from March Music Notes
- Audio CD: Dallas Winds (Jerry Junkin, conductor) - 2012
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Interlochen Center for the Arts (Michigan) Adult Band Camp (Thomas Riccobono, conductor) 15 August 2021
- Illinois State University (Normal) Symphonic Band (Marykatheryne E. Kuhne, conductor) – 20 November 2019
- Ohio University (Athens) Symphonic Band (Richard Suk, conductor) – 13 February 2018
- Sacramento (Calif.) Symphonic Winds (Timothy M. Smith, conductor) – 30 October 2016
- Metamora (Ill.) Township High School Wind Ensemble (Wally Parks, conductor) – 3 May 2015
- River Valley Wind Ensemble (Kankakee County, Ill.) (David Conrad, conductor) – 21 December 2014
- CBDNA Small College Intercollegiate Band (Lowell Graham, conductor) – 26 March 2011 (CBDNA 2011 National Conference, Seattle, Wash.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Brass Quintet No. 2 (1987)
- Concerto for Oboe and Strings (arr. Watts) (1952)
- Divertimento for Wind Octet (1988)
- English Dances, Book One (tr. Johnstone) (1950/1965)
- English Dances, Book Two (tr. Herbert) (1951/1989)
- English Dances, Book Two (tr. Sudduth)
- English Dances Set 2 (tr. Thompson)
- Fanfare for a Festival (arr. McDermott) (1955/1986/2000)
- Fanfare for Louis, 1970
- Four Cornish Dances (tr. Marciniak)
- Four Scottish Dances (tr. Paynter) (1957/1978)
- Four Welsh Dances (tr. Parkes)
- A Grand, Grand Overture (tr. Wilson)
- H.R.H. The Duke of Cambridge (1957)
- The Inn of Sixth Happiness (arr. Suzuki) (1958/)
- March from "A Little Suite" (arr. Sumner) (1955/1965)
- Overture for Wind Octet (1940/2004)
- The Padstow Lifeboat, op. 94
- Peterloo Overture (tr. Sayre)
- Prelude, Siciliano and Rondo (tr. Paynter) (1963/1979)
- Quintet for Two Trumpets, Horn, Trombone and Tuba (1961/2004)
- River Kwai March, The (1957)
- Sarabande and Polka from Solitaire (tr. Paynter)
- Symphony for Brass, op. 123
- Symphony No. 2: Allegretto and Vivace, op. 40 (tr. Parkes)
- Symphony No. 2: Finale, op. 40 (tr. Sudduth)
- Tam O'Shanter Overture, op. 51 (tr. Paynter)
- Three Sea Shanties (1943)
- Trevelyan Suite, op. 96
- Variations on a Theme of Ruth Gipps (trans. Braddock) (1978/2019)
- Water Music, op. 82
- Arnold, M. (1957). Duke of Cambridge March [score]. Patersons Publications: New York.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Malcolm Arnold." Accessed 1 November 2016
- Malcolm Arnold website Accessed 1 November 2016
- Smith, Norman E. (1986). "March Music Notes." Lake Charles, La.: Program Note Press, pp. 19.