Joseph Hellmesberger Jr. (arr. Ambrose)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Hellmesberger’s earliest compositions date from the time of his military service between 1873 and 1876. His compositional output includes twenty-two operettas and six ballets as well as dance music and lieder. Although not well known today, Die Perle von Iberien (The Pearl of Iberia) was one of Hellmesberger’s most popular ballets at the time. It was written while he was concertmaster and ballet music director of the Vienna Court Opera and was given its premiere in 1888 in Frankfurt. With choreography by the famous Viennese dancers Irene Sironi and Joseph Hassreiter, the ballet became a staple of the Court Opera’s repertory.
In 1902, Louis Roth created a piano reduction of the ballet that was published by Josef Eberle. In 1954, the Austrian composer, conductor and arranger Max Schönherr created a four-movement orchestral suite of music from the ballet. The second movement of this suite, Zigeunertanz (Gypsy Dance), provided the source material on which the present transcription is based.
- Program Note by Robert Ambrose
- Alabama: Class A
- Tennessee: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Georgia State University (Atlanta) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Robert Ambrose, conductor) – 18 February 2020
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Jason H. Nam, conductor) – 19 November 2019
- University of Louisiana Monroe Wind Ensemble (Kenna Veronee, conductor) – 26 February 2019
- University of Texas, San Antonio, Wind Ensemble (John Zarco, conductor) – 16 November 2017
- Georgia State University (Atlanta) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Robert J. Ambrose, conductor) – 29 September 2011 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Danse Diabolique (arr. Takahashi) (1995)
- Danse Diabolique (arr. Kamei) (2014)
- Danse Diabolique (arr. Schade) (1971)
- Gypsy Dance (arr. Ambrose) (1888/2015)
- Teufelstanz (arr. Wagner)
- Valse Espagnole (arr. Leeb) (2010)
- Viellebchen (arr. Reinau)
- Zigeunertanz (arr. Mortimer)
- Hellmesberger, J.; Schonherr, M.; Ambrose, R. (2012). Gypsy dance, from the Pearl of Iberia [score]. C. Alan Publications: Greensboro, N.C.