B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Suspended Cymbal (large)
- Tom-tom (medium)
None discovered thus far.
Glow was written rapidly in the summer of 2018 in only two weeks. For years I had imagined this work as bursting clusters. And when I sat down to write it, the music poured out of me. The work features shining harmonies and melodic lines in small instrument pairings similar to my other works. Using an ABA format, pulsing harmonic rhythms and falling sixteenths create a minimalistic background. The B section was my favorite part of this work. True to the format, it offered a moment to break away from the previous ideas. This section is quiet and dry, presenting the music in a falling motive in the woodwinds while creating glowing effects in the mallet percussion and muted trumpet. Once the original A material returns, the syncopated sixteenth-note motive repeats several times. Thick scoring along with the pulsing sixteenths culminate into a final burst to close out the piece.
Glow is dedicated to Maestro Paul Popiel and was premiered on September 20, 2018, by the University of Kansas Wind Ensemble.
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Wind Ensemble (Patricia Brumbaugh, conductor) - 2 March 2023 (88th Annual ABA National Convention)
- Hartwick College (Oneonta, N.Y.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Pease, conductor) - 6 October 2022
- Purdue University Fort Wayne (Ind.) Symphonic Band (Daniel Tembras, conductor) - 9 December 2021
- Indiana University (Bloomington) Concert Band (Jason Nam, conductor) – 20 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 North Central Division Conference, Chicago, Ill.)
- University of New Mexico (Albuquerque) Symphonic Band (Chad Simons, conductor) - 30 November 2018
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Wind Ensemble (Paul Popiel, conductor) – 20 September 2018 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Cameron's Dream (2015/2016)
- Circean Waters (2009)
- The Dawnland (2017)
- Enigma Machine (2013)
- Event Horizon (2011)
- Glow (2018)
- In the Stillness (2017)
- The Moon Glistens (2104)
- Moonscape Awakening (2010)
- Net Luck Soaring (2011/2015)
- Out of the Shadows, Love Shines (2017)
- The Persistence of Memory (2020)
- Reaching Nirvana (2021)
- Suspended in a Sunbeam (2022)
- "Glow by Joni Greene." Wind Band Literature, 27 January 2020. Web. Accessed 27 January 2020
- The Horizon Leans Forward..., compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 341.
- Joni Greene website Accessed 18 September 2018