E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
American composer Arthur Bird composed only three works for military band, the French Overture in A Minor, the March in A Major and the Galop. The Overture and March are among his earliest works and unfortunately have been lost. The Galop is currently the only existing band work of Bird. This publication for standard symphonic band was edited from the original unpublished score for military band. No changes were made in the original music, only the reassigning of parts from obscure military brass instruments to current instrumentation.
The original score in Bird's hand is undated, but is believed to have been composed between 1908 and 1910, and possibly represents his Opus 47. After 1890 Bird composed very little. The Galop was Bird’s next to last composition for large ensemble. It reflects his interest in dance forms and his lifelong emulation of French music. Unfortunately, nothing else is known about this work. Whatever its origin, it is delightful music – clear and buoyant with a humorous lightness that is true to the popular gallop dance.
- Program Note from Appalachian State University Symphony Band concert program, 2 December 2015
- Audio CD: Texas Community College Band Directors Association (Tccbda) All-State Symphonic Band (Gary Garner, conductor) - 2013
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Louisville (Ky.) Community Band (Jason Cumberledge, conductor) - 1 October 2020
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Symphony Band (unconducted) – 28 April 2017
- The Ohio State University (Columbus) Symphonic Band (Scott A. Jones, conductor) – 13 April 2017
- University of North Texas (Denton) University Band (Jacqueline Townsend, conductor)– 17 February 2016
- Appalachian State University (Boone, N.C.) Symphony Band (Kevin Gray Richardson, conductor) – 2 December 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concert Overture
- Galop (arr. Syler) (c. 1909/2013)
- Marche Militaire
- Serenade (Bird) (1898)
- Suite in D for Ten Winds (1889/1991)
- Bird, A.; Syler, J. (1997). Galop for Band [score]. Ballerbach: San Antonio, Tex.
- Burch-Pesses, Michael. "Galop." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 10, Compiled and edited by Richard Miles, 579-585. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2015.