Future of Fire, The
This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Subtitle: For Wind Band and Mixed (or Upper Voice) Chorus
Year: 2001 / 2009 / 2018
Duration: c. 6:00
Difficulty: V (see Ratings for explanation)
Original Medium: Choir and orchestra
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - Rental | Score Only (print) - $27.95
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
The Future of Fire is a brief but powerful work for SATB or upper voices, and orchestra or wind band. The vibrant scoring creates a feeling of explosive energy from beginning to end with intense bursts from a battery of percussion. The melodic material is taken from a popular and touching love song from Shannxi province in northwestern China, which is coupled with rhythmic motives in both the orchestra/wind band and chorus. Folk melodies from this region use intervals of a minor seventh these angular leaps are suited to the dynamic spirit of this work. The chorus sings a vocalise based on repeated syllables that are found in Chinese folk songs, as well as many folk songs from around the world.
- Program Note from publisher
During China's Cultural Revolution, Zhou Long was deployed to a rural state farm in northeast China. Every spring he watched farmers set fire to the dead grass across the plains in order to make the land ready for planting. This experience inspired him to compose the original version of The Future of Fire for orchestra and children's chorus. In 2008-09 he created a wind version of the piece for the University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music Wind Symphony, Steven Davis, conductor.
- Program Note from The NEW Winds of Change
- Audio: Reference recording. Texas Tech University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Sarah McKoin, conductor - 2013
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- State University of New York, Potsdam, Crane Wind Ensemble (Brian K. Doyle, conductor) – 23 October 2019
- University of Texas (Austin) Wind Symphony (Scott Hanna, conductor) – 27 September 2019
- Oklahoma State University (Stillwater) Wind Ensemble (Joseph Missal, conductor) – 31 March 2019
- University of Missouri - Kansas City Conservatory Wind Symphony (Steven D. Davis, conductor) – 27 March 2009 (CBDNA 2009 National Conference, Austin, Tx.) *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Concerto for Wind Symphony (2017)
- The Future of Fire (2001/2018)
- Battisti, Frank. The NEW Winds of Change. Meredith Music Publications, 2018, pp. 303.