Frankenstein - The Movie Score
Flute I-II (II doubling Piccolo)
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II
(percussion detail desired)
Blu-Ray disc player
None discovered thus far.
Frankenstein is a 1931 American pre-Code gothic monster horror film from Universal Pictures. It is about a scientist and his assistant who dig up corpses to build a man animated by electricity. The project goes awry when Frankenstein's assistant accidentally gives the creature an abnormal, murderer's brain.
The film was directed by James Whale, and adapted from the play by Peggy Webling, which in turn was based on Mary Shelley's 1818 novel Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus. The created "monster" is portrayed by Boris Karloff in the film. A hit with both audiences and critics, the film was followed by multiple sequels and has become one of the most famous horror films in history.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
Michael Shapiro was commissioned in 2001 by The Chappaqua Orchestra’s Boris Koutzen Memorial Fund to write the movie score for the classic film Frankenstein (1931) directed by James Whale and starring Colin Clive and Boris Karloff. The world premiere of the work with live orchestra and film occurred in October 2002 at the Film Society of Lincoln Center’s Jacob Burns Film Center in New York, and since its premiere has received over 40 productions worldwide.
Unlike The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), with its lush score by Franz Waxman, the original 'Frankenstein was produced without a movie score. Many critics, such as Leonard Maltin, have remarked that Frankenstein is badly in need of music. Mr. Shapiro’s 70-minute score is written to be played under the dialogue of the film. For modern day moviegoers, Mr. Shapiro’s haunting music adds significantly to the emotional impact of the film.
- Program Note from publisher
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Sonoma State University (Rohnert Park, Calif.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Andy Collinsworth, conductor) – 28 October 2021
- Sonoma State University (Rohnert Park, Calif.) Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Andy Collinsworth, conductor) – 30 October 2019
- Texas Woman's University (Denton) Wind Symphony (Carter Biggers, conductor) – 30 October 2019
- University of Hawai’i at Mānoa Wind Ensemble (Jeffrey Boeckman, conductor) – 24 October 2019
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Frankenstein - The Movie Score (2001)
- The Headless Horseman
- In Every One (2021)
- Ol' Mississippi Sings the Blues (2018)
- Overture to "Frankenstein" (2002)
- Roller Coaster
- Widorama! (2016)