Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Solo Trombone I-II-III-IV
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet I-II
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV-V, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wind Chimes
None discovered thus far.
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was commissioned by a trombone quartet consortium composed of seven trombone quartets from across the United States, including and directed by the Blue Ridge Trombone Quartet. The commissioners felt that it's especially important to bring new music into the trombone world because there are not a lot of pieces composed for trombone quartets from the time when they originated.
The Cortazzo piece not only features a trombone quartet in a unique fashion, but it also boasts a captivating story along with a bold and sweet binary. The source material for the work was taken from the last book of the Bible, the Book of Revelations, which describes the end of times.
- Program Note from University of Arkansas Wind Ensemble concert program, 3 October 2018
According to the composer:
I thought it would be interesting to ally the trombone quartet to the notion of the aforementioned horsemen envisioned in the Apostle Paul's account in the Book of Revelation which he penned while in exile in Patmos. John's vivid account depicts a frightening scene of four mounted riders with each rider's horse being a distinct color. It is generally accepted that these represent death, famine, war and conquest respectively, although this has been the source of not a little controversy over the centuries. The music in the piece is richly orchestrated, quite dramatic sounding and bound together with whole-tone scalar underlayments and twelve-tone passages.
- Program Note from Iowa State University Wind Ensemble concert program, 4 October 2019
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Iowa State University (Ames) Wind Ensemble (Michael Golemo, conductor; Blue Ridge Trombone Quartet) – 4 October 2019
- United States Army Band (Arlington, Va.) (Jac’kel Smalls, conductor; Blue Ridge Trombone Quartet) – 9 March 2019
- University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) Wind Ensemble (Christopher Knighten, conductor; Blue Ridge Trombone Quartet) – 3 October 2018 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2018)
- Grandeur of the Parks (2013)
- Hidden Path to a Mountain Lake (2013)
- On Stony Ridge (2013)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Jeff Cortazzo." Accessed 4 October 2018
- Jeff Cortazzo, personal correspondence, October 2018
- Perusal score