Four Burlesque Scenes
Carl Orff (arr. Hermann Regner)
Subtitle: from the Opera Der Mond.
This work may also be found under its title in German, Vier burleske Szenen
1. Dance of the Peasants in the Tavern
2. The moon is gone
3. Oh, look there hangs the Moon
4. The wine is good, the Moon so clear
Flute I-II (II doubles Piccolo)
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone I-II
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
None discovered thus far.
Carl Orff wrote his little world-theatre Der Mond ( The Moon) based on old fables, between 1936 and 1938. The score written for actors who sing, a narrator and large orchestra, also contains parts important for wind band.
Four scenes have been selected for the present arrangements, which are best performed on different sets of instruments. The arranger, Hermann Regner (born 1928), worked very closely with Carl Orff for many years. This work is sure to be a success in concerts for bands at an advanced level.
- Program Note from publisher
Der Mond (The Moon) is an opera in one act by Carl Orff based on a Grimm's fairy tale with a libretto by the composer. It was first performed on 5 February 1939 by the Bavarian State Opera in Munich under the direction of Clemens Krauss. The composer describes it not as an opera but as Ein kleines Welttheater ("A little world theatre").
The story involves characters who steal the moon for their country which does not have a moon. They take the moon to their graves upon their deaths, and St. Peter goes to the underworld to retrieve it and hang it again in the sky. Two speaking roles include that of a child and a landlord. Singing roles include the four rascals who steal the moon, St. Peter, a farmer and the narrator.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- DePaul University (Chicago, Ill.) Wind Symphony (Devin Otto, conductor) – 21 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 North Central Division Conference, Chicago, Ill.)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Carmina Burana (arr. Krance) (1937/1967)
- Carmina Burana (arr. Mas Quiles) (1937/1994)
- Carmina Burana (arr. Moerenhout) (1937/1958)
- Carmina Burana (arr. Wanek) (1937/1981)
- Catulli Carmina (arr. Duker)
- De Temporum Fine Comoedia (1971-1979)
- Drei Tänze aus "Der Mond" (arr. Wanek) (1939/1986)
- Entrata (arr. Duker) (1928/1940/1954)
- Four Burlesque Scenes (arr. Regner) (1938/1997)
- Kleines Konzert (1927)
- Prometheus (1963-1967)
- Stetit Puella
- Szene der Drei Strolche aus "Die Kluge" (arr. Wanek) (1943/1990)
- Three Dances from "Der Mond". See: Drei Tänze aus "Der Mond"
- Der Mond, Wikipedia. Web. Accessed 4 February 2020
- Orff, C.; Regner, H. (1997). Vier burleske Szenen aus der Oper "Der Mond" [score]. Schott: Mainz.