Fountains of Rome, The (tr Odom)
Ottorino Respighi (arr. Odom)
Year: 1916 /
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Cost: Score and Parts - Unknown
1. The Fountain of Valle Giulia at Dawn - 4:30
2. The Triton Fountain in the Morning – 2:30
3. The Fountain of Trevi at Midday – 3:25
4. The Villa Medici Fountain at Sunset – 5:15
(Needed, please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
1. The Fountains of Valle Giulia at Dawn: A pastoral landscape is depicted: droves of cattle pass and then disappear in the fresh, damp mists of a Roman dawn.
2 .The Triton Fountain in the Morning: A sudden, loud and joyous horn call introduces the movement, summoning troops of naiads and tritons, who chase each other while mingling in a frenzied dance amidst the jets of water.
3. The Trevi Fountain at Midday: A solemn theme appears, passing from woodwinds to brass, /which gradually assumes a more triumphal character. Trumpets peal, and across the radiant surface of the water passes Napoleon’s chariot, drawn by sea horses and followed by a train of sirens and tritons. As the procession recedes, distant trumpet calls ring out.
4.The Fountain of Villa Medici at Sunset: A sad theme rises above the subdued warbling. It is the nostalgic hour of sunset, and the air is full of the sound of tolling bells, birds twittering, and leaves rustling. All dies away peacefully into the silence of the night.
- Program Note from Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music
- Audio CD: United States Air Force Band (Lowell Graham, conductor) - 2008
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Ryan J. Nowlin, conductor) – 24 March 2016
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Airs of the Court (arr. Longfield) (1931/2009)
- Ancient Airs and Dances, Suite I (tr. Johnson)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (arr. Kimura) (1931/1995)
- Belkis, Regina di Saba (trans. Nefs) (1931/2016)
- Bergomasca from Ancient Airs
- Church Windows (arr. Schyns) (1926/2007)
- Feste Romane (arr. Kimura) (2006)
- The Fountains of Rome (arr. Junkin) (1916)
- Fountains of Rome, The (tr. Odom) (1916)
- Huntingtower (1932)
- Huntingtower (orch. Cesarini) (1932/1987)
- Huntingtower (arr. Suzuki) (1932/2001)
- Huntingtower (ed. Binney) (1932/1991)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (tr. Mahaffey) (2009)
- La Boutique Fantasque (as arranger) (1922)
- Pines of Rome (arr. Kimura) (1924)
- Pines of Rome (trans. Duker) (1924/1966)
- Pines of the Appian Way (ed. Leidzen) (1924/1948)
- Roman Festivals (arr. Patterson) (1928)
- Trittico Botticelliano (arr. Hanna) (1927/201?)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Ottorino Respighi." Accessed 1 April 2016