Fiddler on the Roof (arr Barker)
Year: 1964 / 1997
Duration: c. 11:10
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Alfred Publishing
Cost: Score and Parts - Out of print.
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(Percussion instrumentation undifferentiated in score)
None discovered thus far.
Fiddler on the Roof is a Broadway musical with music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick, and book by Joseph Stein, set in the Pale of Settlement of Imperial Russia in 1905. It is based on Tevye and his Daughters (or Tevye the Dairyman) and other tales by Sholem Aleichem. The story centers on Tevye, the father of five daughters, and his attempts to maintain his Jewish religious and cultural traditions as outside influences encroach upon the family's lives. He must cope both with the strong-willed actions of his three older daughters, who wish to marry for love – each one's choice of a husband moves further away from the customs of his faith – and with the edict of the Tsar that evicts the Jews from their village.
The original Broadway production of the show, which opened in 1964, had the first musical theatre run in history to surpass 3,000 performances. Fiddler held the record for the longest-running Broadway musical for almost 10 years until Grease surpassed its run. It remains Broadway's sixteenth longest-running show in history. The production was extraordinarily profitable and highly acclaimed. It was nominated for ten Tony Awards, winning nine, including Best Musical, score, book, direction and choreography. It spawned four Broadway revivals and a highly successful 1971 film adaptation, and the show has enjoyed enduring international popularity. It is also a very popular choice for school and community productions.
- Program Note from Wikipedia
This medley from the Broadway play includes Fiddler On The Roof; Far From The Home I Love; Matchmaker; If I Were A Rich Man; Sunrise, Sunset and To Life.
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Healdsburg (Calif.) Community Band (Randy Masselink, conductor) – 8 June 2018 (Golden Gate Park, San Francisco)
- Encore Concert Band (Mokena, Ill.) (William Schuetter, conductor) – 21 October 2018
- Ithaca (N.Y.) College Wind Ensemble (Christopher Hughes, conductor) – 23 September 2018
- Wisconsin Lutheran College (Milwaukee) Concert Band (James Baxter, conductor) – 11 May 2018
- Callanwode Concert Band (Atlanta, Ga.) (Robert Meehan, conductor) - 6 May 2018
- Encore Winds (Traverse City, MI) (Timothy Topolewski, conductor) - 12 February 2017
- Peninsula Symphonic Band (Palo Alto, Calif.) (Ted Henderson, conductor) - 24 May 2015
- Around the Sound Concert Band (Seattle, Wash.) (Micheal Alstad, conductor) - 4 May 2015
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Fiddler on the Roof (arr. Barker) (1964/1997)
- Fiddler on the Roof (arr. Edmondson)
- Highlights from "Fiddler on the Roof" (arr. Buckley) (1964/)
- Highlights from "Fiddler on the Roof" (arr. Warrington) (1964/)
- Matchmaker (arr. Magill)
- Selections from "Fiddler on the Roof" (arr. Burden) (1964/1971)
- Sunrise, Sunset (arr. Magill)
- Symphonic Dances from "Fiddler on the Roof" (arr. Hearshen)