Fanfares for Friends
1. A Fanfare for Gary – 5:00
2. A Fanfare for Joe – 5:00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (5 players)
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
In thinking about the nature of both Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma, it occurred to me that honoring the service of those who mentored and inspired each subsequent generation is at the very core of their missions. In that spirit, I have written fanfares to celebrate two people who have profoundly influenced my life.
A Fanfare for Gary. Gary Green has devoted his entire life to the belief that a group of people chasing a beautiful musical moment is one of the things that make life worth living. He radiates goodness and possesses a perpetually curious spirit. I am so grateful that he is my friend.
A Fanfare for Joe. I know that Shoeless Joe Jackson—who has been dead since 1951—seems an unlikely friend for a 21st-century composer from Atlanta. But Joe, who was banned from major league baseball as part of the 1919 Chicago Black Sox scandal and served as the protagonist of my opera, The Fix, has long inspired me with his sheer greatness and his tragic downfall. While his life may serve as a kind of requiem for the American dream, this fanfare imagines him at the height of his greatness and the dream that might have been.
Fanfares for Friends was commissioned by Kappa Kappa Psi, National Band Fraternity, and Tau Beta Sigma, National Band Sorority for the 2019 National Intercollegiate Band, Jerry Junkin conducting.
- Program Note by composer
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- San Jose (Calif.) State University Wind Ensemble (David Vickerman, conductor) - 22 February 2020 (2020 CASMEC Conference, Fresno)
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn D. Vondran, conductor) – 22 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 North Central Division Conference, Chicago, Ill.)
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn D. Vondran, conductor) - 7 February 2020
- University of Nebraska (Lincoln) Symphonic Band (Anthony Falcone, conductor) – 10 December 2019
- National Intercollegiate Band (Stillwater, Okla.) (Jerry Junkin, conductor) – 20 July 2019 *Premiere Performance*
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Asimov's Aviary (2012)
- Avelynn's Lullaby (2011)
- Blink! (2006)
- Concerto for Viola and Wind Ensemble
- Emory's Barcarolle (2015)
- Fanfare for Chris (2019)
- Fanfares for Friends (2019)
- 15th Night of the Moon (2014)
- I wake in the dark and remember (2022)
- it perched for Vespers nine (2008)
- Knells for Bonnie (2016)
- My Eyes Are Full of Shadow (2016)
- Piece for Solo Flute and Chamber Winds (2015)
- Ping, Pang, Pong
- a proper goodbye (2020)
- The Shadow of Sirius (2009)
- Ship of Theseus (2015)
- Short Stories (2012)
- Southern Comforts (2008)
- that secret from the river (2016)