Fanfare pour précéder "La Péri"
Year: 1912 / 1927 / 2008
Duration: c. 2:10
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts - $29.95 | Score Only - $12.95
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
None discovered thus far.
Paul Dukas (1865-1935) was a composer who had little self-confidence and was very self-critical. As a result of this he destroyed the manuscripts of all but seven large and five small works. Luckily he kept what is now his best know composition, the symphonic scherzo L'apprenti Sorcier (The Sorcerer's Apprentice). He also came very close to destroying the manuscript of his ballet music La Peri (The Fairy). This was however rescued by his friends. Thus we can still enjoy this magnificent fanfare which was originally used as an opener for the ballet. This fabulous transcription for concert band will make a great opening item for any concert.
- Program Note from publisher
Paul Dukas spent his entire life in Paris as a greatly respected teacher and composer. He studied at the Paris Conservatory and was a close friend of fellow student Claude Debussy, whose influence is heard in much of Dukas’ music. He was extremely critical of his own music to the point of destroying most of his works.
Later in his life, he was appointed professor of composition at the Paris Conservatoire where he had significant influence on many young students who eventually became famous French composers, including Yvonne Desportes and Olivier Messiaen. Dukas was considered one of the most insightful and sensitive critics of his time and held the respect and admiration of many fellow composers; he even worked collaboratively with Camille Saint-Saens to complete an unfinished opera by Guiraud.
In 1912, as a means to give the typically noisy audiences of the day time to settle into their seats, Dukas wrote The Fanfare from La Perí as a last-minute addition, a prelude, for the premier performance of the ballet La Perí. This was the last of his works that he allowed to be published.
- Program Note by the Vista Ridge High School Wind Ensemble concert program, 19 December 2014
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Jeremy Harmon, conductor) – 18 February 2023 (CBDNA 2023 National Conference, Athens, Ga.)
- University of Colorado Boulder Symphonic Band (Branden Steinmetz, conductor) - 15 April 2021
- Baldwin-Wallace University (Berea, Ohio) Symphonic Band (Brendan Caldwell, conductor) - 26 March 2021
- South Dakota State University (Brookings) Wind Symphony (Jacob Wallace, conductor) - 22 March 2021
- United States Coast Guard Band (New London, Conn.) (Jeffrey Spenner, conductor) - 21 March 2021
- Florida State University (Tallahassee) Wind Ensemble (Devan Moore, conductor) - 10 November 2020
- Tyler (Tx.) Junior College (Tyler, Texas) Wind Ensemble (Eddie W. Airheart, conductor) - 5 November 2020
- Texas A&M University (College Station) Wind Symphony (Timothy Rhea, conductor) - 18 October 2020
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Symphony Band (Michael Haithcock, conductor) – 13 March 2020
- University of Kentucky (Lexington) Concert Band (John Cody Birdwell, conductor) – 10 March 2020
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn D. Vondran, conductor) – 22 February 2020 (CBDNA 2020 North Central Division Conference, Chicago, Ill.)
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn D. Vondran, conductor) - 7 February 2020
- Baylor University (Waco, Texas) Symphonic Band (Steve Dailey, conductor) – 25 November 2019
- Shenandoah Conservatory Wind Ensemble (Winchester, Va.) (Timothy J. Robblee, conductor) – 9 November 2019
- University of South Florida (Tampa) Wind Ensemble (Marc Sosnowchik, conductor) – 6 October 2019
- National Youth Band of Canada (Mark Hopkins, conductor) – 10 May 2019
- University of Iowa (Iowa City) Concert Band (Eric Bush, conductor) – 8 April 2019
- University of Southern California (Los Angeles) Thornton Wind Ensemble (H. Robert Reynolds, conductor) – 29 March 2019
- College-Conservatory of Music (Cincinnati, Ohio) Wind Ensemble (Thomas Gamboa, conductor) – 28 March 2019
Works for Winds by This Composer
- La Péri Fanfare (arr. Longfield) (1912/2006)
- Fanfare (arr. Marlatt) (1912/1927/2007)
- Fanfare from "La Péri" (arr. Olt) (1912/2014)
- Fanfare pour précéder "La Péri" (1912/1927)
- Fanfare pour précéder "La Péri" (arr. Schuetter) (1912/1927/2012)
- Fanfare Preceding the Ballet "La Péri" (ed. Dunnigan) (1912/1927/)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (arr. Cailliet) (1897/1958)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (arr. Curnow) (1897)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (arr. Freshner) (1897/2018)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (tr. Hindsley) )1897/197-?)
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice (arr. Winterbottom) (1897/1923)
- Villanelle (orch. Miller) (1906/1997)
- Dukas, P. (1927). Fanfare pour précéder "Le Perí" [score]. Durand et Cie: Paris.