This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Year: 1999 / 2002
Duration: c. 7:05
Publisher: Jennifer Higdon
Cost: Score and Parts - $375.00
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
Fanfare Ritmico celebrates the rhythm and speed (tempo) of life. Writing this work on the eve of the move into the new millennium, I found myself reflecting on how all things have quickened as time has progressed. Our lives now move at speeds much greater than what I believe anyone would have ever imagined in years past. Everyone follows the beat of their own drummer, and those drummers are beating faster and faster on many different levels. As we move along day to day, rhythm plays an integral part of our lives, from the individual heartbeat to the lightning speed of our computers. This fanfare celebrates that rhythmic motion, of man and machine, and the energy which permeates every moment of our being in the new century.
This work was commissioned by The Women’s Philharmonic as part of The Fanfares Project. It was premiered in 2000 by the Women’s Philharmonic, Apo Hsu, conducting. The wind ensemble version of Fanfare Ritmico was commissioned by the Alpha Lambda Chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity at Illinois Wesleyan University, receiving its world premiere on April 21, 2002, by the Illinois Wesleyan Wind Ensemble, Steven W. Eggleston, conducting.
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Wind Ensemble (Andy Radford, conductor) - 9 March 2023
- Louisiana State University (Baton Rouge) Wind Ensemble (Emmanuel Rodriguez, conductor) - 29 November 2022
- Kennesaw (Ga.) State University Wind Ensemble (David T. Kehler, conductor) - 20 April 2020
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) Concert Band (Courtney Snyder, conductor) - 29 September 2021
- University of Cincinnati (Ohio) College-Conservatory of Music Wind Symphony (Lion Brown, conductor) - 5 November 2021
- United States Navy Band (Washington, D.C.) (Kenneth Collins, conductor) – 10 January 2020 (Fairfax, Va.)
- University of Illinois (Champaign) Wind Symphony (Stephen G. Peterson, conductor) – 4 December 2019
- University of Louisiana Lafayette Wind Ensemble (William Hochkeppel, conductor) – 23 October 2019
- Bowling Green (Ohio) State University Concert Band (Bruce Moss, conductor) – 3 October 2019
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Wind Ensemble (Thomas Caneva, conductor) – 20 September 2019
- Brooklyn (N.Y.) Wind Symphony (Jeff W. Ball, conductor) – 18 May 2019
- University of Colorado Boulder Wind Symphony (Hannah Rudy, conductor) – 18 April 2019
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Wind Ensemble (Matthew Arau, conductor) – 24 February 2019
- West Chester (Penn.) University Wind Ensemble (Andrew Yozviak, conductor) – 21 February 2019 (CBDNA 2019 National Conference, Tempe, Ariz.)
- Northwestern University (Evanston, Ill.) Symphonic Band (Shawn Vondran, conductor) – 26 October 2018
- Belmont University (Nashville, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (Barry Kraus, conductor) – 5 October 2018
- Piedmont Wind Symphony (Winston-Salem, N.C.) (Matthew Troy, conductor) - 1 June 2018
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Symphony Band (David Thornton, conductor) – 20 March 2018
- Illinois Wesleyan University (Macomb) Wind Ensemble (Steven W. Eggleston, conductor) - April 2002 *Premiere Performance
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Aspire (2022)
- Blue Cathedral (tr. Nowlin) (1999/2020)
- Blue Cathedral (tr. Patterson) (1999/2015)
- Fanfare Ritmico (2002)
- Kelly's Field (2006)
- Like ClockWork
- Machine (tr. Blon) (2003/2017)
- Mysterium (2011)
- Oboe Concerto (2005/2008)
- Percussion Concerto (2005)
- Road Stories (2012)
- Rhythm Stand (2004)
- SkyLine (arr. Scott) (2002/2020)
- Soprano Sax Concerto (2005/2007)
- Spirit (2006)
- Steeley Pause (1988)
- Tenfold (2010)
- Wind Shear (2000)
- Fannin, Karen. "Fanfare Ritmico." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 9, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 894-900. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2013.
- Higdon, J. (2002). Fanfare Ritmico: The Wind Ensemble Version [score]. Lawdon Press: Philadelphia, Pa.
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 355.