For further availability information, see Discussion tab, above.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Contrabass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (5 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drums
- Suspended Cymbals (3)
- Triangles (2)
None discovered thus far.
Expansions was commissioned by and dedicated to the Southern Illinois University Symphonic Band.
The title was in part suggested by the spreading two clusters of the beginning. It also refers to the fact that rhythms, intervals, dynamics and instrumentation are all subjected to various procedures of augmentation and diminution. The entire piece is developed form the material presented in the first ten measures. The title seems also appropriate since the piece was conceived, not as an exercise in technique, but as a musical statement capable of involving the listener's emotions and imagination.
- Program Note from Program Notes for Band
- Maryland: V
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Illinois (Champaign) Hindsley Symphonic Band (Jeremy Sison, conductor) - 18 November 2021
- Lawrence University (Appleton, Wisc.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Mast, conductor) – 20 May 2017
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Abide with Me (as arranger) (1861/1993)
- Castle House Rag (as orchestrator) (1914/)
- Exchanges (1976)
- Expansions (1967)
- March and Fanfare for an Elegant Lady (1986)
- Riverain (1993)
- Somersault (1964)
- Take a Chance (1964/1965)
- Girsberger, Russ. Percussion Assignments for Band & Wind Ensemble: Volume 2 L-Z. Galesville, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2004, 278. Print.
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "Hale Smith." Accessed 20 May 2017
- The Horizon Leans Forward…, compiled and edited by Erik Kar Jun Leung, GIA Publications, 2021, p. 479.
- Smith, H. (1967). Expansions [score]. Edwin F. Kalmus: Boca Raton, Fla.
- Smith, Norman E. (2002). Program Notes for Band. Chicago: GIA Publications, pp. 547.