Esprit de Corps (Jager)
B-flat Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Glockenspiel (or Orchestra Bells)
- Snare drum
- Tam tam
- Tubular Bells (or Chimes)
- Flute I. Two meas. before reh.P, beat 1: Add "mf".
- Oboe I. Two meas. before reh.P, beat 1: Add "mf".
- Flute II, reh. F: , Should only double piccolo for four bars at letter F, and should switch back to flute at m. 63 (4 after F). They should also play piccolo from pickups to J to K, and again for only four measures at letter Q, switching back to flute at m. 155.
- Oboe I, 2 meas. before reh. P, beat 1: add "mf" (to match Flute I).
- Oboe II. meas. 4, beat 4&: A should read B-flat.
- E-flat Alto Saxophone I. Fix page turn at the bottom of page 3 (copy the first system from page 4 and tape it to the bottom of page 3).
- E-flat Alto Saxophone II, 2nd to last measure, beat 2: hairpin decrescendo should read hairpin crescendo.
- B-flat Trumpets, m.28. Split the octave on beat 4 as they do in m. 6, with trumpet II divided and trumpet III playing second line G.
- B-flat Trumpet (Cornet) II, m.4, beat 4: Add eighth rest before the 16th notes.
- Horns, reh.R. Octave higher if possible (as per Mr. Jager's preferences).
- Horn in F II, 5 meas. after reh.P, beat 1: Add half rest.
- Horn in F, III reh.A, beat 3: G-flat should read G natural.
- Horn in F III, 5 meas. after reh.E, beat 1: Add half rest.
- Trombone II, 4 meas. after reh. K, beat 3: Add "3" under eighth note beam to clarify the triplet figure.
- Baritone, Bass Clef. 2 meas. before reh.R, beat 1: E-flat should read F ; Score also [This correction is subject to the conductor’s opinion].
- Percussion III. m.1: Add "4/4" meter signature to all three staves.
- Percussion III. 4 meas. before reh. D, beat 3: Play on chimes, not xylophone as indicated (change the label on that system).
Based on The Marines' Hymn, this work is a kind of fantasy-march, as well as a tribute to the United States Marine Band, which group had commissioned the work. Full of energy and drama, the composition has its solemn moments and its lighter moments (for example, the quasi-waltz in the middle of the piece). The composer intends that this work should display the fervor and virtuosity of the Marine Band and the musical spirit and integrity of its conductor, Colonel John R. Bourgeois, for whom the initial tempo marking, "Tempo di Bourgeois," is named. Colonel John Bourgeois is a dramatic, spirited conductor who reflects the excitement of the music being played. When a tempo is supposed to be "bright" he makes sure it is exactly that. Because the tempo of Esprit de Corps is to be very bright, the marking just had to be "Tempo di Bourgeois!"
- Program note from Windband.org
- Arkansas: IV
- Georgia: VI
- Iowa: V
- Indiana: ISSMA SENIOR BAND GROUP I
- Louisiana: IV
- North Carolina: VI
- South Carolina: VI
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Bethel University (St. Paul, Minn.) Wind Symphony (Steven Thompson, conductor) - 7 May 2021
- Western Illinois University (Macomb) Wind Ensemble (Mike Fansler, conductor) - 1 May 2021
- University of Kansas (Lawrence) Symphonic Band (Matthew O. Smith, conductor) – 2 March 2020
- University of Texas (Austin) Tower Concert Band (Cheldon Williams, conductor) – 1 March 2020
- Atlanta (Ga.) Wind Symphony (David Kehler, conductor) – 19 January 2020
- Franklin High School (Elk Grove, Calif.) Wind Ensemble (Matt Mackey, conductor) - 4 December 2019
- State College Area (Penn.) Municipal Band (Darrin Thornton, conductor) – 10 November 2019
- Atlanta (Ga.) Wind Symphony (David Kehler, conductor) – 13 October 2019
- Concordia University (River Forest, Ill.) University Band (Richard R. Fischer, conductor) – 8 November 2019
- Santa Fe Wind Ensemble (Gainesville, Fla.) (Steve Bingham, conductor) – 3 October 2019
- University of North Texas (Denton) Concert Band (Luslaida Barbosa, conductor) – 2 October 2019
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Barry Houser, conductor) - 27 June 2019
- United States Military Academy (West Point, N.Y.) Band (Tod Addison, conductor) – 15 June 2019
- Casco Bay Wind Symphony (Portland, Me.) (Peter Martin, conductor) – 8 June 2019
- United States Marine Band (Washington, D.C.) (Jason K. Fettig, conductor) – 19 May 2019 (Iwakuni, Japan)
- State University of New York, Fredonia, Concert Band (Ray Stewart, conductor) – 18 April 2019
- Charlottesville (Va.) Municipal Band (Gary Fagan, conductor) – 14 April 2019
- Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) Symphony Band (Stuart Ivey, conductor) – 30 November 2018
- Arkansas State University (Jonesboro) Symphonic Winds (Sarah Labovitz, conductor) – 8 November 2018
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Apocalypse (1972)
- Appalachian Carol Festival (1983)
- Blithe Bells (as arranger) (1989)
- Bold Venture (1990)
- Carpathian Sketches (1978)
- Cliff Island Suite (1990)
- Chorale and Toccata (1967/1971)
- Colonial Airs and Dances (1987)
- A Commemorative Suite (1987)
- Concert in the Park (2004)
- Concerto for Band (1981)
- Concerto for Bass Tuba and Concert Band (1981)
- Concerto for Euphonium and Band (1985)
- Concerto for Percussion and Band (1984)
- Concerto No. 2 for Alto Saxophone (1977)
- Courage to Serve March (1971)
- Diamond Variations (1968)
- Eagle Rock Overture (1986)
- Epilogue: "Lest We Forget" (1992)
- Esprit de Corps (1984)
- Eternal Vigilance (2008)
- First Suite for Band (1995)
- Hebraic Rhapsody (2000)
- Heroic Saga (1986)
- Highland Fling (2005)
- In Sunshine and Shadows (2004)
- Japanese Prints (1976)
- Joan of Arc (2008)
- Jubilate (1978)
- The Last Full Measure of Devotion (1995)
- Lord, Guard and Guide (1993)
- March Dramatic (1967/1996)
- March of the Dragonmasters (1984)
- Meditations on an Old Scottish Hymn Tune (1993)
- Mystic Chords of Memory (2001)
- Old Time Spirit (1986/1997)
- Pastorale and Country Dance (1979)
- Potomac Festival Overture (1990)
- Preamble (1975)
- Prelude: Concert Liberte (1976)
- Prelude on an Old Southern Hymn (1983)
- Second Suite (1965)
- Shivaree (1976)
- Sinfonia Hungarica (1998)
- Sinfonia Noblissima (1965)
- Sinfonietta (1970)
- Stars and Bars (1965)
- Symphony for Band (1965)
- Symphony No. 2 (1976)
- Symphony No. 3 (2003/2018)
- Tableau (1982)
- The Tennessean March (1968)
- Testament (1988)
- Third Suite (1966)
- Three Chinese Miniatures (1993)
- To Music (2003)
- The Tour de Force March (1970)
- Triumph and Tradition (1985)
- Uncommon Valor March (1991)
- Under the Big Top (1987)
- Variants on the Air Force Hymn (1999)
- Variations on a Theme by Robert Schumann (1968)
- The Wall (1993)
- The World Turned Upside Down (1983)
- Camphouse, Mark, editor. (2004) Composers on Composing for Band, Volume 2. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 125-167.
- Lenzini, Catherine Sell. (1998) "A Conversation with Robert Jager." The Instrumentalist 53, no. 5 (December 1998): 37-38, 40, 42.
- Miles, Richard, compiler and editor. (2011) Teaching Music Through Performance in Band, Volume 8. Chicago: GIA Publications. pp. 817-825.
- Robert Jager website