Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Contrabass Clarinet
Eb Contrabass Clarinet
Eb Alto Saxophone I-II
Bb Tenor Saxophone
Eb Baritone Saxophone
Bb Cornet (SOLO)-I-II-III-IV
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Euphonium (Baritone B.C.)
(percussion detail needed)
In the new printing/engraving (not the 50 years Commemorative Edition):
- Flute/Piccolo - (Part) 6th measure of Letter B, second half note should be an E-flat, not D.
- Flute/Piccolo - (Score and Parts) First note at Letter C should be an F, not E-flat.
- Oboes - (Score and Parts) 7th measure of Letter C, the slur is missing.
- Bassoon 1 & 2 - (Score and Parts) 5th measure of Letter Q, the lower note should be a C, not an E-flat as printed
- All B-flat Clarinet parts - (Score and Parts) 6th measure of Letter C - missing a tie. The part is correct at Letter R.
- Clarinet 2 & 3 - (Score and Parts) 7th measure of Letter C, the slur is missing.
- Clarinet 3 - (Part only) 4th measure of Letter O, the (tr) marking is incorrect for that measure.
- Alto Sax 1 & 2 - (Score and Parts) 2 measures before Letter C, the second note of the triplet should be a G, not an A. Alto 1 part is correct.
- Alto Sax 1 & 2 - (Score and Parts) 4th measure of Letter C, printed wrong note - it should be an A.
- Alto Sax 2 - (Part only) 9th measure of letter C, there is a natural sign at the end of the measure that doesn't need to be there. Doesn't affect any notes.
- Alto Sax 2 - (Part only) 3rd measure of Letter D, the first note is correct, the last two beats should be a quarter note triplet (D-B-D) as printed in the score.
- Alto Sax 2 - (Score and Part) 2nd measure of Letter H, the first note should be an E natural, not F-sharp as printed.
- Alto Sax 1 & 2 - (Score and Parts) 3rd measure of Letter R, the figure should be played a half-beat earlier, matching the horns.
- Baritone Saxophone - (Score and Parts) 7th measure of Letter R, add a flat, OR tie over from previous measure.
- Cornet 3 - (Score) 9th measure of Letter T, beat 3, missing the natural, should be A natural.
- Cornet 3 & 4 - (Score and Parts) 10th measure of Letter T, missing an eighth rest after the first note.
- Horn 3 & 4 - (Parts only) 4 measures before Letter A. Note are missing. There should be a G on beats 2 & 4 along with the F.
- All Horn parts - (Score and Parts) 2 measures before letter E, slur missing between first two notes of the measure. The slur in the next measure is incorrect.
- Trombone 2 - (Score and Parts) 4th & 8th measure of Letter C - there is a staccato on beat 2 that is incorrect.
- Trombone 2 - (Score and Parts) 4th measure of Letter L, the note should be G-natural, not G sharp.
- Trombone 2 & 3 - (Score and Parts) 6th measure of Letter T, missing a tie in the ostinato part.
- Trombone 3 - (Score) 3rd measure of Letter L, should be F-sharp through the whole measure, the natural is incorrect.
- Trombone 3 - (Score) 4th measure of Letter L, should be F-sharp, the sharp in the score in on the wrong part.
- Trombone 3 - (Part) 3rd measure of Letter L, the first note is correct, but beat 4 should be F-sharp, the natural is incorrect.
- Trombone 3 - (Score and Part) 11th measure of Letter M, the note should be a C, not D.
- Baritone B.C. - (Score and Part) 2nd measure of Letter G - last note of the measure (an E) is missing a flat
- Baritone B.C. - (Score and Part) 9th and 10th measure of Letter R, the top note should be a B-flat, and the bottom an E-natural
- Baritone B.C. - (Score and Part) 3rd and 7th measure of Letter T, the first note of the measure should be an E-natural, not a D.
- Baritone T.C. - (Part only) the measure before Letter E, the last note of the measure is missing a flat, should be B-flat.
- Baritone T.C. - (Part only) Letter T, the key signature change is not noted for the remainder of the piece. They should be in the key of D (C concert)
- Tuba - (Score and Part) 2nd measure of H, the first note should be a C, not E.
- Percussion I - (Score and Part) 2 measures before Letter S, there is a random ff marking that doesn't belong.
- Percussion I - (Score and Part) the measure before Letter T, the cymbal is missing the l.v. mark
- Percussion II - (Part only) the 8th and 9th measures of Letter E are reversed.
- Percussion II - (Part only) 2 measures before Letter F, beat 4 does not need the noted articulation.
- Percussion II - (Score and Part) 3rd and 4th measure of Letter L, the tie is missing.
- Percussion II - (Part only) 2nd measure of Letter M, the p marking is missing.
This first published work of Claude T. Smith was released in 1964. Over the ensuing years it has become the standard of comparison in concert band literature. The mixed meter along with the lyrical freshness typical of Smith ushered in a new era for composers writing for concert band. Emperata Overture is simply a "must" for every working band director.
- Program Note by publisher
Celebrating its 50th anniversary. Emperata Overture was Smith's first published work. This time-tested classic is an exciting and rewarding work, perfect for contest or festival.
- Program Note by the Vandercook College of Music Symphonic Band concert program, 19 December 2014
None discovered thus far.
- Alabama: Class A
- Arkansas: IV
- California: V, Class A
- Georgia: V
- Iowa: III
- Indiana: Group II
- Louisiana: IV
- Michigan: Class AA (Junior High School); A (High School)
- Minnesota: Category II
- North Carolina: V
- New York: V
- Oklahoma: Class 4A
- South Carolina: V
- Tennessee: V
- Virginia: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Texas A&M University (College Station) Concert Band (Russell Tipton, conductor) - 2 March 2019
- Golden Gate Park Band (San Francisco, Calif.) (Robert Calonico, conductor) - 22 July 2018
- Clovis (Calif.) North High School Concert Band (Jose Vargas, conductor) -16 March 2018 (2018 Sutherland Wind Festival (Fresno, Calif.)
- Michigan State University (East Lansing) Campus Band (Connor Fetting, conductor) - 29 November 2017
- Kishwaukee Concert Band (DeKalb, Ill.) (Dave Lehman, conductor) – 22 October 2017
- Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) Symphonic Band (Kirk Saville, conductor) – 7 December 2016
- Lee University (Cleveland, Tenn.) Wind Ensemble (Winona Holsinger, conductor) – 26 April 2016
- University of Arizona (Tucson) Wind Symphony (Cory Driscoll, conductor) – 26 April 2016
- University of California, Berkeley, Wind Ensemble (Robert Calonico, conductor) – 12 August 2015
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) Summer Band (Barry Houser, conductor) - 16 July 2015
- Vandercook College of Music (Chicago) Symphonic Band (Stacey Larson Dolan, conductor) - 19 December 2014 (2014 Midwest Clinic)
- Marquette University Symphonic Band (Jason S. Ladd, conductor) - 6 April 2014
- Ely High School Band; Ely, MN (Nolan Hauta, conductor) - 27 October 2011
- Roseau High School Band: Baudette, MN International Falls, MN and University of Minnesota: Duluth (Nolan Hauta, conductor) - March 2011
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Acclamation (1969)
- Across the Wide Missouri
- Affirmation and Credo
- Allegheny Portrait
- Allegro and Intermezzo
- America the Beautiful
- American Folk Song Trilogy
- Anthem for Winds and Percussion (1978)
- Avondale Overture
- Bainbridge Fair
- Battle Hymn of the Republic
- Beguine on a Brazilian Folk Song
- Black Watch March
- Bombasto Concert March
- Boys of the Old Brigade (as editor)
- Bulgarian Folk Dance
- Canticle: All Creatures of Our God and King
- Castlebrooke Overture
- Chorale and Allegro
- Chorale Prelude on a German Hymn Tune
- Chorale Prelude: All Things Bright and Beautiful
- Chorale Prelude: For the Beauty of the Earth
- Chorale Prelude: Rejoice Ye Pure in Heart
- Citation (Concert March) (1964)
- Commemoration Fanfare and Chorale
- Concert Celebration
- Concert Dance and Intermezzo
- Concert Variations (Smith, Claude)
- Cresset Variations
- Dance Prelude (Smith, Claude)
- Danse Folâtre (1991)
- Danza Sonora
- Declaration Overture (1976)
- Distant Trumpet, The
- Dramatic Prelude
- Emperata Overture (1964)
- Eternal Father, Strong to Save (1860/1975)
- Fanfare, Ballad and Jubilee
- Fantasia for Alto Saxophone (1983)
- Fantasy for Trumpet (1967)
- Festival Variations (1982)
- Festive Proclamation
- Flight (1985)
- Flourish and Hymn of Praise
- Gala XXV: A Symphonic Overture
- Galop Humoresque (1985)
- God of Our Fathers (as arranger)
- Golden Regiment (Concert March)
- Greensleeves: A Symphonic Setting
- Honor Guard March (1959/2017)
- Horizons West
- Hymn to Saint Avold
- Incidental Suite (1966)
- Indiana State Band March
- Inscriptions for Band
- Intrada: Adoration and Praise
- Introduction and Caccia
- Introduction and Fugato
- Invocation and Jubiloso
- Island Fiesta
- Jubilant Prelude
- Jubilee for Winds
- Jubilo, a Concert Overture
- Legacy for Band
- March on a Scottish Air
- March on an Irish Air
- March Spiritoso
- Meremac Rhapsody
- Moresca: A Symphonic Pantomime
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel
- Overture for a Festival
- Overture on an Early American Folk Hymn
- Overture Romantique
- Oxford Point Overture
- Peter Schmoll (as arranger)
- Prelude and Toccata (Smith)
- Prelude for Band
- Prelude Variations
- Rejoice in Glorious Hope
- A Rhapsody on Christmas Carols (1987)
- Royal Lancer
- Santiago Carnival (1980)
- Serenade and Dance
- Shenandoah: A Sea Fantasy
- Silver Salutation
- Sonus Ventorum (1970)
- Spirit of Texas
- Star Song
- Stone Mountain Overture
- Suite for Solo Flute, Clarinet and Alto Saxophone (1987/2002)
- Summer in Rio (1981)
- Symphonic March on an English Hymn Tune
- Symphonic Prelude on "Adeste Fidelis" (1983)
- Symphonic Psalm (1979)
- Symphonic Variations on "In Dulci Jubilo"
- Symphonic Variations on "Amazing Grace"
- Symphony No. 1 for Band (1979)
- Thousand Hills Overture (1994)
- Three Contrasts for Horn and Wind Ensemble (1977/1994)
- Variations on a Hymn by Louis Bourgeois (1984)
- Variations on a Revolutionary Hymn
- Variations on an English Hymn
- Water is Wide, The
- Were You There When They Crucified My Lord (Four Symphonic Chorales)
- Windgate Festival
- World Freedom March
- Zia, Zia!
- Smith, C. (1964). Emperata Overture [score]. Wingert-Jones Music: Kansas City, Mo.