This article is a stub. If you can help add information to it,
please join the WRP and visit the FAQ (left sidebar) for information.
Duration: c. 8:50
Difficulty: (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Subito Music Publishing
Cost: Score and Parts (print) - $175.00 | Score Only (print) - $35.00
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet I-II
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III-IV-V-VI
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
"... a high-energy score .... The music drives hard from its opening to a lullaby-like woodwind passage about two-thirds of the way through. The dreaminess is dispatched by the arrival of a snare drum that slowly ratchets the excitement level back to that of the work's opening."
- Program Note from Fanfare Magazine
Elfin Thunderbolt opens with a fff explosion in the percussion, which then becomes an accompaniment for a brass fanfare. This fanfare-like material is stated in various ways in the opening section. A tranquil woodwind texture follows, under which rich brass chords are expressed. Suddenly the tempo becomes presto. A sprightly melody is stated by the flutes, and eventually passed through all of the woodwinds. Following a ritardando, the tranquil woodwind texture returns. All motion comes to a halt, until a ppp snare drum announces the final ascent to the thunderous conclusion.
- Program Note by composer
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Messiah College (Mechanicsburg, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (James Colonna, conductor) – 28 February 2020
- University of Missouri, Kansas City, Wind Ensemble (Joseph Parisi, conductor) – 20 September 2017
- New Jersey City University Symphony of Winds and Percussion (Patrick J. Burns, conductor) – 12 April 2016
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Wind Ensemble (Jack Stamp, conductor) – 14 November 1998
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Audible Images (2014)
- Concerto for Piano and Wind Ensemble (2000)
- Concerto for Woodwind Quintet and Wind Ensemble (2022)
- Danza de los Duendes (1992/1996)
- Dos Danzas Latinas (2002)
- Elfin Thunderbolt (1998)
- Epiphany and Meditation (2020)
- Euphonic Blues (2012/2019)
- Febris Ver (2011)
- Two Psalms (1990)
- Washington's Landing (2007)
- Wind Symphony No. 1 (1996)
- with brightness round about it (1993)
- Galbraith, N. (1999). Elfin Thunderbolt [score]. Subito Music: [Verona, N.J.].
- Nancy Galbraith website Accessed 19 September 2017