For availability information, see Discussion area.
E-flat Soprano Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Bass Saxophone
B-flat Cornet I-II-III
E-flat Horn or Alto I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III
(percussion detail desired)
None discovered thus far.
El Relicario is one of the most famous and best loved paso dobles in the band literature. This Spanish march is traditionally performed at bullfights as the participants enter the arena. This setting retains all of the delightful rhythms and enchanting melodies of the original. Its Latin flavor is full of colorful Spanish flourish.
- Program Note from Indian Springs Middle School Band concert program, 12 February 2016
Padilla is known for the songs La Violetera and El Relicario, composed for the tonadilla singer Raquel Meller. This song continues to be among the most famous melodies in Spanish music, and it was popularized by the greatest variety song performers of the times.
Its composer, José Padilla, wrote it in Paris, where it attained absolute success and recognition. Not only the person who first popularized it, variety song performer Raquel Meller, but also other great performers such as Celia Gámez and Concha Piquer, owe a significant portion of their popularity to this variety song, or pasodoble.
With the lyrics of Armando Oliveros and José María Castellví, it debuted in Barcelona unsuccessfully. But it was the opposite in its re-debut, now with the voice of Meller, who designed incredible scenery that fit in stupendously with Padilla’s melody. After its debut in Paris in 1920, it was so successful that it sold 110,000 copies of the edition for voice and piano in Paris, alone!
- Program Note from Lee University Wind Ensemble concert program, 8 October 2019
(Needed - please join the WRP if you can help.)
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Royal Oak (Mich.) Concert Band (Kevin R. Czarnik, conductor) - 8 March 2020
- Indian Springs Middle School (Keller, Texas) Band (Cindy Langford, conductor) - 12 February 2016 (2016 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
Works for Winds by This Composer
Adaptable Music v
All Wind Works
- El Relicario (Flex instrumentation) (arr. Clark) (1914/2010)
- El Relicario (tr. Lang) (1914/1941)
- El Relicario (arr. Longfield) (1914/1989)
- La Contrabandista
- La Novia de España
- La Violetara (1920)
- A Portrait of Charlie Chaplin (with Charlie Chaplin) (arr. Hoshide)
- Valencia (1918)
- Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. "José Padilla." Accessed 18 January 2016.
- Padilla, J.; Lang, P. (1941). El Relicario [score]. Mills Music: New York.
- El Relicario, Wikipedia