Earth, The, from "The Planets" by Trouvère
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
B-flat Bass Clarinet
B-flat Soprano Saxophone
E-flat Alto Saxophone
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Tubular Bells
None discovered thus far.
Jun Nagao arranged Gustav Holst’s Planets suite for the Trouvère [saxophone] Quartet in 2003, adding Pluto and Earth since they were scientifically part of the planets then. This is the concert band version of the arrangement. The first theme begins with a Jig from St. Paul’s Suite. The second is Earth, an original based on E-A-D-C-H, followed by other fragmented themes from the Planets and various popular Holst melodies. The music was composed with the hope that the earth will become a peaceful planet.
- Program Note by Showa Wind Symphony concert program, 18 July 2015 (WASBE, San Jose, Calif.)
- The Earth, from The Planets by Trouvere has been recommended as interesting, serious and distinctive music by members of the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles (WASBE).
- Audio CD: North Texas Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 2017
None discovered thus far.
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- University of Central Oklahoma (Edmond) Wind Symphony (Brian Lamb, conductor) -3 December 2019
- Sacramento (Calif.) State University Symphonic Wind Ensemble (Matthew Morse, conductor) – 9 October 2019
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) Wind Ensemble (Kenneth Ozzello, conductor) - 26 September 2019
- North Hills High School (Pittsburgh, Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Len Lavelle, conductor) - 4 April 2019
- Lone Star Wind Orchestra (Dallas, Tx.) (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) – 29 April 2018
- Waxahachie (Tx.) High School Wind Ensemble (Richard Armstrong, conductor) - 16 February 2018 (2018 TMEA Conference, San Antonio)
- West Chester University (Penn.) Wind Ensemble (Andrew Yozviak, conductor) – 30 April 2017
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, Wind Ensemble (John R. Locke, conductor) – 4 December 2016
- CBDNA North Central (Ames, Iowa) Intercollegiate Band (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) – 27 February 2016 (CBDNA 2016 North Central Division Conference, Ames, Iowa)
- University of North Texas (Denton) Wind Symphony (Eugene Migliaro Corporon, conductor) - 18 December 2015 (2015 Midwest Clinic)
- Showa Wind Symphony (Tokyo, Japan) (Shintaro Fukumoto, conductor) – 18 July 2015 - WASBE Conference, San Jose, Calif.
Works for Winds by This Composer
- Der Grucksdrache
- Die Heldenzeit (1998)
- Earth, The, from "The Planets" by Trouvère (2003)
- Fluttering Maple Leaves
- Nami noho
- Paganini Lost in Wind (2008/2011)
- Un Morceau du Ciel