Early One Morning
Folk Songs arranged by Pierre La Plante
Subtitle: English Country Settings II
1. Early One Morning
2. Lavender's Blue
3. Davy, Davy, Knick Knack
B-flat Soprano Clarinet I-II
E-flat Alto Clarinet
B-flat Bass Clarinet
E-flat Alto Saxophone I-II
B-flat Tenor Saxophone
E-flat Baritone Saxophone
B-flat Trumpet I-II
Horn in F I-II-
- Bass Drum
- Bells (or Vibraphone)
- Snare Drum
- Suspended Cymbal
- Wood Block
None discovered thus far.
Three attractive British folk songs, including: Early One Morning; Lavender's Blue and a rowdy Scottish dance tune Davy, Davy, Knick Knack.
- Program Note from publisher
The original lyrics of Early One Morning, lovely English folk tune, spoke of unrequited love, but the melody found its way into children's song repertoire with a slight change in the lyrics, as follows:
Early one morning,
Just a the sun was rising,
I heard a maid sing,
In the valley below.
O, don't deceive me, etc.
Early one morning,
Before the sun had risen,
I heard a bluebird
In the fields gaily sing.
South winds are blowing, etc.
Lavender's Blue, a piece that probably dates from the late 1600s, has been a favorite children's nursery song for many generations. It achieved near-pop status when actor/folksinger Burl Ives recorded it in 1947.
Davy, Davy, Knick Knack is an old country dance tune, probably of Scottish origin. It is paired with a Dorset four-hand reel tune.
- Program Note by composer
- Audio: Reference recording. Ensemble and conductor unknown
- Audio CD: Beaumont Middle School Symphonic Band (Teresa J. Elliott, conductor) - 2005
- Louisiana: I
- Michigan: Senior High D
- Michigan: Junior High A
- North Carolina: III
- Oregon: I-A, II-A
- Tennessee: III
- Texas: II. Complete
- West Virginia: III
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Young Musicians Mentor Band (Garett George, conductor) - Summer 2017
- Beaumont Middle School (Lexington, Ky.) Symphonic Band (Teresa J. Elliott, conductor) – 14 December 2005 (2005 Midwest Clinic)
Works for Winds by This Composer
- All Ye Young Sailors (as arranger) (2005)
- American Riversongs (1991)
- American Sketches (2014)
- As I Walked Through the Meadow (2019)
- At the Old Camp Ground (2017)
- The Band in the Square (2006)
- The Cat's Pajamas (2018)
- Caribbean Rondo (2009)
- Come to the Fair!
- A Cowboy Symphony (2008)
- Early One Morning (as arranger) (2005)
- English Country Settings (1997)
- Fantasy on a Fiddle Tune (2005)
- Great American West Suite, The (2013)
- In the Forest of the King (2000)
- La Bonne Aventure (2010)
- Legends and Heroes (2003)
- Minka's Sleigh Ride (2007)
- Music for the King's Delight (2007)
- Overture on a Minstrel Tune (1979)
- Prairie Songs (1998)
- Prospect (1983)
- Red River Valley, The (as arranger) (2001)
- Song of the Mountain Horn (as arranger) (2013)
- Songs of the Plains (2015)
- Suite of Old French Songs (2015)
- The Thunder and the Roar (2004)
- Travelin' Music (2018)
- The Voyageurs (2002)
- A Walk in the Morning Sun (2010)
- Winds A' "Whispering" (as arranger) (1920/2009)
- Yorkshire Folk Song Suite (2016)
- Ethington, Bradley P. "Early One Morning." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 344-348. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- La Plante, P. (2005). Early One Morning : English Country Settings II [score]. Daehn Publications: New Glarus, Wisc.
- Perusal score
- Pierre La Plante website Accessed 19 August 2017