Year: 2004, revised 2008 (current version: 1.4)
Duration: c. 4:55
Difficulty: IV (see Ratings for explanation)
Publisher: Gorilla Salad Productions / Distributed by Hal Leonard
Cost: Score and Parts - $115.00 | Score Only - $25.00
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Trombone III (bass)
Percussion I-II, including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (crash and suspended)
(This error is in the part only)
- Trumpet III, m. 30, beat 1 should be an "A" not a "G".
Also see the Kish book (in Additional Resources below, pp. 95–96) for additional errata.
NOTE: Dusk was revised in May, 2008, and the two versions are NOT compatible. Make sure you have version 1.4 in both the score and the parts.
This simple, chorale-like work captures the reflective calm of dusk, paradoxically illuminated by the fiery hues of sunset. I'm always struck by the dual nature of this experience, as if witnessing an event of epic proportions silently occurring in slow motion. Dusk is intended as a short, passionate evocation of this moment of dramatic stillness. Dusk is part of a three-work “night cycle,” continuing with The Marbled Midnight Mile and concluding with First Light.
Dusk was commissioned by the Langley High School Wind Symphony, Andrew Gekoskie, conductor, and was premiered in April 2004 at the MENC National Convention by the commissioning ensemble.
- Program Note by Steven Bryant
None discovered thus far.
None discovered thus far.
Upcoming and recent performances of all works by Steven Bryant are listed here.
(To submit performances of works by Steven Bryant, Jim Bonney, Jonathan Newman, or Eric Whitacre, please use this page.)
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Alchemy in Silent Spaces (2001)
- all stars are love (2014)
- Anthem (Bryant) (2011)
- The Automatic Earth (2019)
- Axis Mundi
- Chester Leaps In (see Parody Suite)
- Coil (2014)
- Concerto for Wind Ensemble (2010)
- Concerto for Alto Saxophone (2014)
- Concerto for Cello and Orchestral Winds
- Concerto for Trombone 2016
- Concerto for Piano and Orchestral Winds & Percussion (2012)
- Dusk (2004)
- Ecstatic Fanfare (2012)
- Ecstatic Waters (2008)
- First Light
- Impercynations (see Parody Suite)
- Idyll (2013)
- In This Broad Earth (2015)
- Interruption Overture (1998)
- Irrational Joy (2017)
- Machine Awakes, The (2012)
- The Marbled Midnight Mile (1999)
- MetaMarch (see Parody Suite)
- A Million Suns at Midnight
- Miniature Suite (2017)
- Nothing Gold Can Stay (2016)
- Parody Suite
- Pendulum (2018)
- Radiant Joy
- Solace (2012)
- Stampede (2003)
- Suite Dreams (see Parody Suite)
- Whirlwind (2013)
- Wings That Work (2003)
- Bryant, Stephen "Dusk." In Teaching Music through Performance in Band. Volume 6, edit. & comp. by Richard Miles, 339-343. Chicago: GIA Publications, 2007.
- Conducting Masterclass video rehearsal with Steven D. Davis and the UMKC Conservatory Wind Ensemble
- Kish, David. (2014). Guides to Band Masterworks. Volume IV. Delray Beach, Fla.: Meredith Music Publications, 2014. pp. 83–123.
- Steven Bryant website